• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Caterer

sagestrat

I want to have a surprise 50th birthday party for my husband, and I'm looking for an excellent caterer in Chester County. I did a brief stint at Catering Inc., which used to be in Malvern. I was always very impressed with the chef, Carol ?????. Does anyone know where she might be now or can you recommend someone good? It will be an afternoon thing in mid-April. Hoping for oysters and some of my husband's other favorites.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Jennifer:

Does the caterer have to be in Chester County, or just willing to travel there? Feast Your Eyes, Peachtree & Ward and Frog Commissary Catering are the triumvirate of better caterers in this area and would likely travel to your location.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Of course Katie has great suggestions.

On the other hand, in case you are looking for a Chester County Caterer, and the party is 30 people and under, I'd recommend the newcomer Eau Private Dining. Owen Kolva and Joe McAllister do some amazing stuff (610-389-4505).

Hope you have a great party and easy planning.

Steph

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Jennifer:

Does the caterer have to be in Chester County, or just willing to travel there?  Feast Your Eyes, Peachtree & Ward and Frog Commissary Catering are the triumvirate of better caterers in this area and would likely travel to your location.

From what I understand, PW is kosher now, and not upscale at all.

Betty the Caterer is another kosher.

Culinary Concepts might be decent.

Jeffrey Miller as well.

Shackamaxon.

There's tons of little mom and pop caterers that have emerged in the last 5-7 years that are all solid.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Jennifer:

Does the caterer have to be in Chester County, or just willing to travel there?  Feast Your Eyes, Peachtree & Ward and Frog Commissary Catering are the triumvirate of better caterers in this area and would likely travel to your location.

From what I understand, PW is kosher now, and not upscale at all.

Betty the Caterer is another kosher.

Culinary Concepts might be decent.

Jeffrey Miller as well.

Shackamaxon.

There's tons of little mom and pop caterers that have emerged in the last 5-7 years that are all solid.

Peachtree & Ward gone Kosher?? I don't think so. I did a job for them several months ago as a "rent-a-sommeliere" for the evening and the food they served was definitely not kosher. The pate was right next to the cheese...

Unless that's a really recent change.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Peachtree & Ward gone Kosher??  I don't think so.  I did a job for them several months ago as a "rent-a-sommeliere" for the evening and the food they served was definitely not kosher.  The pate was right next to the cheese...

Unless that's a really recent change.

Well, that's what I understood from talking to one of my former catering compadres a few weeks ago.

It's possible her info is older than yours.

How was their service and food?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

P&W does kosher catering, yes. But not exclusively. It's a long explanation as to how you can become certified, but it does not mean having to give up your trayfe business as well, as long as you have the space and money for a completely separate commissary.

And you should talk to some of your favorite restaurants. If it's a mid-afternoon thing, you might be able to get them to do it for you.

owner, Rx

P&W does kosher catering, yes. But not exclusively. It's a long explanation as to how you can become certified, but it does not mean having to give up your trayfe business as well, as long as you have the space and money for a completely separate commissary.

PW originally bought the kosher caterer A Catered Affair (I think that was the name), and I because its service standards weren't as high as PW at the time,

was trying to use that to build up its kosher division.

Along with the purchase, they got their separate building.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.