• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baguettes in Philadelphia

TarteTatin

We like a good, crisp outside, soft inside, true baguette.

Fork's bakery has a really good one...had it tonight.

Also, in Nolib, there's a new store at 4th and Poplar? -that gets their baguette from a South Philly Asian Artisinal. I think that's actually the best we've had.

Where else have you had really good baguette's?

Philly Francophiles

Also, in Nolib, there's a new store at 4th and Poplar? -that gets their baguette from a South Philly Asian Artisinal. I think that's actually the best we've had.

Probably the guy at 12th and Morris, roughly.

Baker Street in general seems to be underapprciated in Center City.

Out of sight, out of mind, for the most part.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

We like a good, crisp outside, soft inside, true baguette.

Fork's bakery has a really good one...had it tonight.

Where else have you had really good baguette's?

I have always said the Artisan Boulanger Pattisserie, the south philly bakery you are mentioning and the location herbacidal is talking about too, makes the best baguette in the city I have had and I am an admitted dough snob. Run don't walk and try their sourdough baguette. Don't be afraid of the dark color. It is a masterpiece.

I also think Baker St is underated and Metropolitan is way way way overrated. That of course is IMHO.

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

When you think of your baguette, do you mean straight up from wherever you got it without a refresh in a heated oven? B/c it's one thing to get the baguette from the oven and another to eat it after it's cooled down. (This is why Sarcone's still-hot-from-the-oven fresh bread is so tempting- even after stuffing myself at Sabrina's.) I haven't been to places other than what's already been mentioned, except for Miel.

When you think of your baguette, do you mean straight up from wherever you got it without a refresh in a heated oven? B/c it's one thing to get the baguette from the oven and another to eat it after it's cooled down. (This is why Sarcone's still-hot-from-the-oven fresh bread is so tempting- even after stuffing myself at Sabrina's.) I haven't been to places other than what's already been mentioned, except for Miel.

I rarely have a loaf last enough to reheat it in my house. With a traditional baguette, made without preferments (these are portions of the final dough that are fermented in advance to improve flavor) that extend shelf life, they are to be eaten within a few hours although they should cool for a bit before eating. I have heard from a master baker that French law dictating bread sales and baking (they are serious about theie breads!) actually say that baguettes must be cooled for 20 minutes before being offered for sale in Paris. The taste of bread improves with cooling. While warm bread is dreamy, hot bread is just "carbs". It's like tasting burning hot broth and judging subtle flavors - can't do it.

Baguettes made with preferments will have more staying power in the range of days (depending) and are great when reheated. The sourdough baguettes I mentioned above from Artisan Boulanger Patisserie have a great shelf life as they (and I don't know the recipe) are almost certainly made with a high percentage of preferment.

If you don't get to Sarcones at the right time, grab a room temp baguette there and worry not. :rolleyes:

Evan

PS - this bread is also served at Pif so if you have been there you probably already had it.

Dough can sense fear.

That vietnamese bakery on passyunk down the block from the royal has good ones too.

I think that's the Artisan Boulanger Patisserie mentioned above...

No, I think Greg's referring to a different one. I didn't know they had bread though.

I thought of it as more of a coffee shop than a bakery.

It's where Passyunk, 7th and Carpenter(I think) all meet.

I also think Ba Le's rolls are underappreciated.

They're half the reason I love their banh mi more than other places.

Not to mention their buy 5 get 1 free deal.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

No, I think Greg's referring to a different one.  I didn't know they had bread though.

I thought of it as more of a coffee shop than a bakery.

It's where Passyunk, 7th and Carpenter(I think) all meet.

Ahh, didn't know about that one.

"Artisan..." is at 12th and Passyunk, but I wasn't sure how literally "down the block" was meant!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com