• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Where'd this come from?

jrufusj

WHERE DID THESE COME FROM? - Home (1/5/2006-1/6/2006)

Tasting through a couple of things people have given me at one time or another.

• 2001 West Brook Riesling - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (1/5/2006)
    Light gold with tiny green flashes, bright and appealing. Typical dusty mineral nose of just-opened riesling. Once it airs out a touch, sweetish simple apple and pear fruit appears. Over the course of a couple of days, the fruit settles down and the acid steps more to the fore. Enough fruit to last three days, it really is in best balance on day two. Good concentration and balance overall. Never seen it before so I look it up and discover that this is a $10-$12 wine. Could use some more complexity but a very good effort for the money. I wish people brought me things like this more often.
  • 2000 Canyon Road Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California (1/6/2006)
    Darkish red, clear. Sweet fruit and oak nose. On the palate, soft and round and sweetish plum and cherry fruit wrapped in a big dilly dose of American oak. Someone gave me eight of these when he left Seoul three years ago. Not bad for what it is, I guess. Plenty of people like this sort of thing. They'll have to finish it for me because I'm not drinking it.

Not too bad. I can serve the cab to people who like that sort of thing, but I won't have to suffer the embarassment of letting one of my merchants see me buying it! I'd actually like to run into something like the riesling on a restaurant list.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.