• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is more of a winter thing in China, but I wanted them for something non-Chinese. That said they are essential in hotpots, malatang and luosifen here, so always easy to source. I bought a small bag of the three mixed together. 30 grams in total for ¥1 / 14 cents USD. This is less than a third.

guipibajiaoxiangye.thumb.jpg.14622b1a56d16eafd92117ef4ab0764d.jpg

We have 桂皮 (guì pí), cassia bark; 香叶 (xiāng yè), bay leaf; and 八角 (bā jiǎo), star anise. All grown locally. In fact, Guangxi grows 80% of the world’s star anise.

Here is one extraordinarily tiny star anise with my left hand for scale. It's smaller than my fingernail.

tinybajiao.thumb.jpg.5961d972bbc59a1f8865182d20c1fae1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

This is more of a winter thing in China, but I wanted them for something non-Chinese. That said they are essential in hotpots, malatang and luosifen here, so always easy to source. I bought a small bag of the three mixed together. 30 grams in total for ¥1 / 14 cents USD. This is less than a third.

guipibajiaoxiangye.thumb.jpg.14622b1a56d16eafd92117ef4ab0764d.jpg

We have 桂皮 (guì pí), cassia bark; 香叶 (xiāng yè), bay leaf; and 八角 (bā jiǎo), star anise. All grown locally. In fact, Guangxi grows 80% of the world’s star anise.

Here is one extraordinarily tiny star anise with my left hand for scale. It's smaller than my smallest fingernail.