• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits

Soup

I love grits but my attempts at it have failed.

The food section of the post have gotten me to think about trying to make Grits again. What type/brand of grits should I buy? The paper suggested the "quick cooking" type.

Once I make the grits, can it be store in the fridge/freezer and reheated (I'm the only one in the house that likes them).

The important thing to remember about grits is to never, EVER buy the 'Instant' kind. I don't know what that is, but it sure aint grits!

Look for 'quick grits.' It only takes about 5 minutes to make a batch, so you don't really need to make a bunch and store it. Having said that, however, you can certainly save them in the refrigerator if you've made too much. To reheat, just add a little water (or even milk) and stir as it heats up. Good as new!

As Melissa has already pointed out some good grit threads, here is my preferred method for making plain simple grits: Simple Grits Recipe

Enjoy!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I agree with the never buy instant philosophy as well. I ate them, once. I don't know what they are either.

The quick grits are nice, and if you get the box with the Quaker on the outside, there are microwave directions for a single serving.

Leftover grits in my house get fried, or fed to the wild life. Birds seem fond of them. Usually, there aren't any. Do check out the grits threads. Very educational, in my opinion. There are a lot of smart people in these forums that love to cook and eat.

I will second the vote for Anson Mills grits, however these are NOT quick cooking grits. They require time - a crockpot is a good choice for this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anson Mills stone ground grits are wonderful and may well be the best anywhere, though there are other mills that make high quality grits for a little less, such as War Eagle. Cook them in a crock pot for about three hours. Try using cream instead of water sometime. Sublime either way and not even a near relative of either instant or quick grits. I pour the leftover cooked grits into a baking dish and refrigerate it overnight. Cut it into rectangles the next morning and pan fry. Eat it with butter and salt and pepper. Or with maple syrup. Real maple syrup.

You'll have to order Anson Mills grits (yellow or white) by phone after checking out their website. They ship them out the same day they grind them. No matter of sitting on a shelf for two weeks...or two months...or two years. I freeze the packages I am not going to use immediately and take them out as needed.