• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Los Tapatios

ejebud

This post is a long time coming! I have been eating at Los Tapatios for a few years now under the capable hands of the owner Homero and his lovely family. I have never had a bad meal here. I had a few surprises like the dish shown below as Carne de Puerco Enchilada, was not an enchilada as I have known from typical Tex Mex places. There was no tortilla involved in the making of this dish. I must tell you that this is not a restaurant that I would have just walked into with out having the rave reviews of a friend of mine. It's location is..well how should I say....not optimal in that it's not on restaurant row in Montclair, and it's not even close to Millburn and Main st in Millburn, and I seriously doubt that anyone in Summit has even heard of the place, but I want to encourage EVERYONE to go. The authentic food is well worth the trip and the prices are great. There is plenty of parking behind the restaurant who's store front is on Main St. THIS IS NOT EL BANDITO!!! Just pass right by THAT place. From the back parking lot, be sure to use the entrance on the left as the one on the right is for the bar. They are seperate at this point as Homero just aquired the bar from I think his brother and has not yet recieved the approval of the town to combine the liquor licence with the restaurant. The Tres leches cake and the flan are probably the best I've ever had. You MUST MUST MUST try this restaurant. When you do, you may never eat Tex Mex again.

We just fed 4 adults and 2 children for 100.00 plus tip. The kids meals are not included in these pictures. Here is what we had:

Mexican Sodas

gallery_16368_2227_769372.jpg

4 Seasoned Steak Tacos and 4 Chorizo(homemade) Tacos

gallery_16368_2227_763067.jpg

Sopa Negra

Black Bean Soup

gallery_16368_2227_347423.jpg

Pulpo en salsa Verde

Octopus in Green Sauce

gallery_16368_2227_745718.jpg

Camarones al Ajillo

Shrimp Sauteed in Garlic & Butter Sauce

gallery_16368_2227_102286.jpg

Camarones Acapulco

Shrimp with Bacon and Light Red Sauce topped with melted Muenster Cheese

gallery_16368_2227_305034.jpg

Carne de Puerco Enchilada

Pork seasoned with Mexican Spices

gallery_16368_2227_810694.jpg

Pollo con Mole

Boneless Breast of Chicken simmered in a Mild Red Sauce

gallery_16368_2227_785570.jpg

Pan de las Tres Leches

Moist Pound Cake

gallery_16368_2227_257123.jpg

Flan Napolitano

Caramel Custard

gallery_16368_2227_402942.jpg

Los Tapatios

10 Main St.

West Orange, NJ

973-736-8869

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

What he said. :wink:

Seriously, I don't think I've ever had Mexican food like this in NJ, and I really enjoyed Los Tapatios. My brother, who moved back here from San Francisco last year, was thrilled to find real Mexican food again, as he's complained loudly since moving back that there isn't much to be had here. The food is simply prepared, but it's wonderful. The chorizo (made in-house) was spicy but I could still taste it. The octopus was tender, my pork was heavily spiced and delicious, and the garlic shrimp was some of the best I've ever tasted. And the desserts...were...

HEAVENLY. :wub:

For those familar with the area, the restaurant sits on the corner of Northfield Avenue and Main Street. You can enter the large parking lot on Valley Road. Great spot--thanks to Eric for the introduction! We'll definitely be back again SOON.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I just want to reiterate everything in the original post. I actually joined this forum with the intention of posting a review very much like that, and never got around to it. I've been going there for 8 years (when they were basically a little Mexican convenience store with some tables in the back) and still haven't had a bad meal. I moved out of West Orange 1 1/2 year ago, and we still go back for a fix every couple of months. The place has ruined every other Mexican restaurant for me and anyone else I've ever dragged there.

It looks like the OP ate in the restaurant. They also own the bar next door, and make a pretty good sangria, however the restaurant is smoke free and the service is a little more attentive.

I've had just about everything on the menu by this point. I heartily recommend anything with the green sauce. It's the best I've ever had. Also make sure you try the Mexican sodas, especially the Coke (there is a difference).

Thanks for the post!

Edited by rassele (log)

• 1 month later...

Been to Los Tapatios several times for lunch and dinner over the past year. It's fantastic - everything we've had we've enjoyed very much.

I'm bringing a group with me tonight... I'll post back on our experience.

Update: Very good as usual. Food was consistent - we ordered the cheese and chorizo appetizer.. you really have to try it - it's simple, but its delicious.

Edited by forceten (log)

I believe they do have high chairs there. And they have some kid friendly stuff available. I'm not sure they are on the menu-- but I've seen chicken nuggets and french fries there. For the slightly more adventurous -- read this as my 7 year old -- they have cheese quesidillas and burritos they can fill with rice and beans or rice and cheese depending on the child's whim.