• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinnekjøtt

rlibkind

And a recipe.. Sounds great..

Pretty simple, really. Steam the separated ribs (over birch twigs, preferably) for a couple of hours until the meat loosens from the bones, then quickly grill/broil to brown. Serve with potatoes and/or rutabagas or turnips and, of course, Aquavit to cut through the meat's richness (it's a fatty cut).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Pinnekjøtt is awesome, but what about RIBBE? Pork ribs with loads of fatty meats, and the skin attached, which forms a crispy, crunchy snack-like thing? I would love to know how to order that in a butcher's shop... I've cooked loads of traditional American BBQ/Smoked ribs, and some utterly awesome Chinese braised ribs, but I've never dared to approach the Norwegian Christmas meal of RIBBE. Not to hijack the thread (if a moderator sees this, please feel free to separate this post into a new thread -- but I figured that possibly, there wouldn't be that many posts in a Norwegian Christmas food thread, heheh).

So, could anyone tell me how to order this from a butcher? I'm pretty sure I couldn't get such an order from a regular supermarket.

I dont know how much help you can get here but....

http://scanfest.org/CF-food.cfm?vt=foo

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

There's a place in Brooklyn that sells Pinnekjøtt. Don't know the name of the store. I think they salt it themselves. It's lamb belly and breast. The Norwegian Seaman's church in NYC probably could point you in the right direction. Think they have to be ordered. As far as the ribbe, it's pork belly. A Chinese butcher is the best place to look for that.

There's one other meat item that Norwegians favor at Christmas time: Fenelar. It's dry-cured leg of lamb. Similar process to prosciutto. Salty and delicious. I smuggled one back from Norway a couple of years ago. Haven't had the pleasure of fenelar since.

None of this can be truly enjoyed without good Norwegian Christmas beer and some freezing cold aquavit.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

There's a place in Brooklyn that sells Pinnekjøtt.  Don't know the name of the store.

It's called Nordic Deli and it's in Bay Ridge. I know this because a Norwegian friend made some Pinnekjøtt for me last night--yowza!--along with mashed kolrabi and small boiled red potatoes. Had to drink swedish aquavit as that was all I had and subbed Kronenborg for what would have been much more delicious Christianson Christmas ale.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 2 weeks later...