• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mount Gay Barbados

Bought this bottle ($15.99) while in South Carolina, along with 4 year old Barbancourt and 4 year old Flor de Caña.

Light brown, almost yellow in colour, this rum has a very high alcohol content taste and aroma. The flavour is also somewhat sharp and overwhelming to the tastebuds.

The jury is still out on this one, more later. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hmmm....I noticed that the majority of people on my island (Barbados :biggrin: ) do not really drink the amber colored rum. I have never tasted it solo...only when our specialty Christmas Rum Cake has been soaked with it for a few weeks. :wink::cool:

The drinking rum of choice would have to be Mount Gay's White Rum. Spy a drunk at one of the many rum shops (the CIA says we have a rum shop every few feet but I think that is a gross exaggeration.....Im sure its every block :biggrin: ) and be sure he/she will be hugging a bottle of White Rum. :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents

Jodi

Edit: Just a passing comment but I noticed that Americans are wild about Bicardi. My uncle says he cannot figure out why. All you have to do is get a coconut....screw a hole into one of the eyes...pour in white rum, cork the coconut and bury it for 3 months. Ta Da! Bicardi! Just my uncle's comments and opinion. :rolleyes:

Oh, yes, about the rum in this topic...think I'll pass on any more, not that it's available locally. The aftertaste is a little to metallic for me.

The reason most people from the uS like Bacardi, it that they have never tried anything else that's decent, only less expensive, worse rums.

I thought Bacardi was rum, until I tried HC7, a little over 2 years ago!

Now only Bacardi 8 or Anejo are good to me, of that line. :unsure:

Well...other than rum cake....I do not have much experience with rum. I posted what I have observed over the years of watching many people succumb to Mount Gay's White Rum. Personally, my family works at the brewery and that stuff really smells. I always got queasy from the scent. I guess taste is also on the tongue of the beholder. :rolleyes: I believe the smell alone is what kept me from tasting it. :hmmm:

Bolivar: The Mount Gay Extra Old in my opinion is their best rum, and it is a damned good rum.

I have the cane rum as well, and I only use it as a mixer.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I posted what I have observed over the years of watching many people succumb to Mount Gay's White Rum.

I guess the people who succumb to alcohols in the big way often find some local or regional product that they prefer. In Finland, the drink of choice for these people is 'Koskenkorva', which is also one of Finland's most renown products, I'm told...

Well the drink of choice is actually Banks Beer but I don't really see anyone getting smashed night after night with Banks Beer. Its always White Rum......I got a lecture from my father not to touch that stuff when I was a kid. That stuff will pickle your brain

Well, Koskenkorva is used for night-after-night smashing as well. Normal people resort to beers and drinks...

And your father was probably right. Kids rarely see alcohol as anything but means to get wasted, and many adults have the same problem. However, I believe this discussion forum is populated by people who know that alcohol, especially rum, can be enjoyed in a reasonable and responsible way and are not seeking to pickle their brain. :smile:

White rum seems to be the drink of choice for native Caribbeans. In Jamaica, overproof white rum (120 proof) Wray and Nephew is what almost every home has for their chosen poison. Not only do they drink it to get wasted but also it is commonly used as MEDICINE and in place of rubbing alcohol beleive it or not. Often the Overproof is brought to people in the hospital. Very rarely do native Jamaicans drink the better Appletons, such as the VX, the Extra, or the 21.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

That is exactly what I was trying to say, only you said it so much better. If you go to any rum shop in Barbados you wont see the Mount Gay Extra Gold. You are going to see White Rum! And you know.....the stuff actually does taste like Rubbing Alcohol. :wacko: I only had a sip, dad doesn't have to know everything. :wink:

BTW at my grandmothers house the Cockspur wasn't brought out until Christmas. Special Occasions Only!

Jodi

PS

Do you know that with the exception of very bad wine.....I don't think we Bajans drink any... :hmmm:

You know a Bajan who does!?? :shock::huh: I've never seen a Bajan with a bottle of wine. Unless the Bajan came here soon after birth. I personally have never had wine and neither has anyone in my family. With the exception of my mother recently.....she just discovered Chardonnay. :blink:

• 5 months later...