• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drive from Costa Brava to San Sebastian?

hapacooking

In anticipation of my trip to El Bulli, I was looking into driving from Costa Brava to San Sebastian through the southern side of the Pyrenees and was wondering if anyone has hints or experiences to share. Suggested places to stay, eat, route, and how long it may take would be helpful.

We did that trip some time ago. It was quite enjoyable. The sightseeing was more memorable than the food, although there were highlights. La Cocina Arogonesa in Jaca (Huesca) was a highlight. I was pleased to learn it got a sol from Campsa that year, but I see that it's lost it since. We ate in Rodero in Pamplona. It has two soles today. I'm not sure if it had one or two then. There are currently six restaurants in Pamplona with one or more soles. I'm sure others here could offer more up to date information on which ones to chose.

How long it would take is entirely up to you. How much driving do you like to do in a day? How much sightseeing do you want to do? How far out of your way will you go for sightseeing? There are some wonderful Cistercian monastaries along the way and some excellent Pyrenean scenery. The higher you go into the mountains, the more intersting the scenery, but the less likely you will be to find direct routes going west as the mountains and valleys run north and south.

Your route, the restaurants and the sights may depend on exactly where you start in Catalunya. There are excellent restaurants in Catalunya west of the Costa Brava. Look for threads on Catalunya dining.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux,

Thanks for the reply and tips. I was thinking of maybe taking three days to travel from Roses to San Sebsatian. Do you think that may be too aggressive? I realize that this part of thge trip will not be the culinary highlight of the trip but hopefully we will be able to find a few places along the way that will satisfy our palate.

Have you ever ventured into Andorra? Any suggestions?

Thanks

We did that trip some time ago. It was quite enjoyable. The sightseeing was more memorable than the food, although there were highlights. La Cocina Arogonesa in Jaca (Huesca) was a highlight. I was pleased to learn it got a sol from Campsa that year, but I see that it's lost it since. We ate in Rodero in Pamplona. It has two soles today. I'm not sure if it had one or two then. There are currently six restaurants in Pamplona with one or more soles. I'm sure others here could offer more up to date information on which ones to chose.

How long it would take is entirely up to you. How much driving do you like to do in a day? How much sightseeing do you want to do? How far out of your way will you go for sightseeing? There are some wonderful Cistercian monastaries along the way and some excellent Pyrenean scenery. The higher you go into the mountains, the more intersting the scenery, but the less likely you will be to find direct routes going west as the mountains and valleys run north and south.

Your route, the restaurants and the sights may depend on exactly where you start in Catalunya. There are excellent restaurants in Catalunya west of the Costa Brava. Look for threads on Catalunya dining.

Thanks. Yes I heard it wasnt a culinary destination but the sights I heard are very nice..

. . . . .

Have you ever ventured into Andorra? Any suggestions?

Yes, I have. Suggestions? Skip it. At least, from a gastronomic point of view, I'd say.

Our trip from Barcelona to the Atlantic took five nights. Actually, we had lunch in Lasarte on the fifth afternoon and drove on to Hondarribia. the night before was spent in Pamplona. It could easily be done in three days without too much sightseeing and we certainly could have filled up several days with more monument seeing or more time in the mountains.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I drove from Barcelona to Pamplona and stayed the afternoon and night there before heading to San Sebastian the following morning. On the third day we drove to Bilbao and came directly back to Barcelona on the fourth. It was a wonderful trip but if I were to do it again I'd omit Bilbao and spend more time in San Sebastian. Of course, everyone should see the Guggenheim at least once.

I simply can't recommend San Sebastian highly enough. The food, the town and the surrounding countryside were all outstanding.

Regarding Andorra: don't bother. It's been ruined by extreme overdevelopment. Great for going skiing or tax-free shopping but the food is atrocious and the scenery consists of little more than billboards and building sites.

I drove from Barcelona to Pamplona and stayed the afternoon and night there before heading to San Sebastian the following morning. On the third day we drove to Bilbao and came directly back to Barcelona on the fourth. It was a wonderful trip but if I were to do it again I'd omit Bilbao and spend more time in San Sebastian. Of course, everyone should see the Guggenheim at least once.

I simply can't recommend San Sebastian highly enough. The food, the town and the surrounding countryside were all outstanding.

Regarding Andorra: don't bother. It's been ruined by extreme overdevelopment. Great for going skiing or tax-free shopping but the food is atrocious and the scenery consists of little more than billboards and building sites.

This may be true if you are looking to simply pass through Andorra, which given your anticipated schedule is all that you would be likely to do. If, however, you were a hiker and wished to spend some time in the mountains, it is truly magnificent. While the food may not be at the level of surrounding areas, it is not bad. It also happens to be a good place for luxe food shopping.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz