• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Sri Lankan' in Toronto

KevV

Okay, here goes...

I mentioned that I once had a curry leaf tree in my backyard and was then encouraged to start a thread on where one might find fine 'Sri Lankan' food in TO. So this is it!

To be honest, I have absolutely no suggestions of my own. I moved to TO in Feb and tend to cook at home, so I'm not the best person to ask. And so with Sri Lankan restaurants: I've never been to one here, but would be happy to hear of which are good - be they Singalese, Tamil, Muslim, Burgher, or whatever might exist out there...

Finally, in honour of the most convincing suggestion made, I volunteer, at some point, to conduct a 'field trip' of sorts and report back to our eGullet readers.

Kv

Edited by KevV (log)

Downtown, the options are pretty limited I think.

Rashnaa at Wellesley and Parliament has been around for a while. It had an offshoot on Spadina for a while - run by relatives I think - that came and went a couple of times. It is now in a went stage.

There's a place on King around Dufferin that I've never tried.

I suspect that the suburbs are a much better bet for Sri Lankan, and my knowledge thereof is scant.

So, yes, more about Sri Lankan restos, favourite dishes etc.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks for starting the thread, Kev. Are you cooking Sri Lankan food at home? Where do you find your ingredients, and what are your favourite dishes to make?

Can't wait to hear the results of the field trip.

Rashnaa is also the only Sri Lankan resto I know of off hand.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Downtown, the options are pretty limited I think.... I suspect that the suburbs are a much better bet for Sri Lankan, and my knowledge thereof is scant.
As I am rarely out there, it would be good if someone could fill us in on this... Any takers?
There's a place on King around Dufferin that I've never tried.
Yes Geoff, my neck of the woods - Parkdale - which also relates to Jake's question:
Are you cooking Sri Lankan food at home? Where do you find your ingredients, and what are your favourite dishes to make?

Sure, I cook at home. I've got 3 cookbooks I picked up in SL, but usually tend to wing it. I love Sinhalese style daal, for example, with coconut milk added twice, their aubergine curry, deserts like love cake or wattalapan... (though I've never made the sweets myself). There are things like lampries - a Burgher dish - which would be fun, but which I haven't made yet. Seeni sambol is good and easy. Various other veg dishes... I'll cook them when I'm in more of a veg mood, although fish curries are great, as are prawns, crab... I'm not too much of a chicken man, however, and in SL people tend not to eat much pork, beef, lamb, etc, if at all.

In another discussion someone asked where one might get fresh curry leaves - I mentioned you can get them at the Kana Super Market, which is around QueenW & Lansdowne/Jameson (south side). It's a Tamil shop with lots of spice mixes, rice (including samba rice, if you like that) and some produce too. Pretty good, and better prices than House of Spice in Kensington (mentioned recently in another discussion, but where I bought some stale stuff a few months back). Of course, I've been to the Indian area in the east end for a shopping trip, too. In Parkdale there are also several Indian and W.Indian shops selling spices, fresh coconuts, etc. For tropical fruit I suppose I'd look around Kensington & Chinatown.

Haven't tried the King & Dufferin place, Geoff - kind of a diner from what I remember. ('Canadian & Sri Lankan Cuisine'?) I wouldn't be surprised, though, if their rice&curry set ended up to be pretty good despite the pretty modest facade. And a few days ago I noticed another place on QueenW almost right across from Kana's - not really a restaurant, more of a walk in, snacking/take out joint. I imagine they sell short eats, kottu, and such. I'll pop in to have a look at some point.

Must admit I have not been that far east in a long time. Would definitely go explore if anyone can provide some info/tips....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ate at Rashnaa last weekend. They have a website www.rashnaa.com so you can have a look at the menu if you like.

I had the lentil dumpling thingeys - well, more like doughnuts. I found them to be a little dry, yet doughy at the same time. Not sure I'd order them again. My friend had the Devil chicken curry - a fairly standard, though less saucy than most, spicy chicken curry. I had the masala dosa, which comes as an enormous, slightly crisp crepe-like dosa folded over the same potato curry with peas that came as a side with the chicken. Really good, and did I mention, enormous?

I hope to go back some time and try the stringhoppers or vermicelli.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby