• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Tire"-like aroma in wine

artal

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in the Wine forum. Question: I opened two bottles of Marta de Balta 2001 tonight (Pares Balta winery, D.O. Penedes, Spain) and the first one had an awful aroma of tires/rubber and the second one also had it, although not as pronounced. Has anyone ever noticed this in any wine they've opened? In the past I've only noticed when a wine is off but have never smelled anything like this before.

I've not had that specific wine before, but I've had the Pares Balta "Mas Elena" and thought it was one of the tastiest wines I've had.

I've experienced that "burnt rubber" smell with certain South American Malbecs or South African Pinotage before, but never in a Spanish wine.

StephenC is correct when he says sometime aeration helps. Sometimes those funky aromas (not just this one, but many) sort of "blow off" the wine after a few minutes in the glass and some swirling.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Typically, it's a hydrogen sulfide issue that probably isn't going to appreciably improve. StevenC mentioned mercaptans, which is hydrogen sulfide gone bad. The result can be the smell of burnt rubber, rotten eggs, garlic, sewage. If the odor you experienced is just a burnt match type of sulfur, this is usually resolved with aeration. Some people even put a penny in the glass to "correct" the wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Burnt rubber sounds more like it. It had already been open for 3 hours before I tried it, so i'm not sure that further aeration would've helped. The strange thing is, when I gave it to the customer to taste, she said it was great, and was raving about the wine before she left. Since about half of the bottle was left behind, I gave some to the waitstaff to try, and that is when we noticed it. A real shame, since it's around 60 euros/bottle (and both bottles were this customer's, and she "approved" both bottles).

Decanting usually provides much better aeration.

Although, I have had some wines with a decided burnt rubber taste wherein that burnt rubber taste actually did go well with the wine.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Decanting usually provides much better aeration.

Although, I have had some wines with a decided burnt rubber taste wherein that burnt rubber taste actually did go well with the wine.

i recently attended a blind tasting of 95 chateauneuf du pape - 7 examples plus a "mystery wine" (which turned out to be cigare volant, btw).

anyway, one wine i intensely disliked for that overpowering "wheelies" scent. half of the 15 member group felt the same way; many others chose it as their favourite wine of the evening. it was domaine beaurenard, cuvee boisrenard...