• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alba v. Perigord

ulterior epicure

Any commercial truffle product you use will inevitably be artificially "enhanced" and you can probably acheive your goal with any of them. My preference for butter would be if it was homemade and pure. Be judicious so it doesn't get too strong and clumsy, taste as you go. I'd "perfume" both the filling and the sauce.

This year has been a terrific year for truffles, the fresh black ones from Norcia are still very very good although they will be disappearing soon. I served my last "all black truffle menu" for the year last night. We'll feature them in a dish or two for the next few weeks. It's the latest I've seen truffles this good in a long time.

Bon Appetit

...well, I've just had my first experience using a truffle-infused product - truffle butter that I picked up at Dean & Deluca.

Here are my thoughts: while the butter was flecked throughout with black truffle bits, I found that I needed to use a lot more than I thought in order to get the same "effect" as truffle infused oils - which I found rather heady and strong (if not flavorless) when I sampled some straight.

I held off on buying the oil because I'll be travelling in the near future and won't be able to use the oil very often; I fear it will go rancid. The butter, I know I can freeze at my place to be thawed and re-used at will sometime later. I toyed with truffle salt because it probably has a longer, more stable shelf life (am I right?), but hesitated because I wasn't able to sample any.

Would love to know how truffle salt would compare to the other two forms.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Just the other day I had a sneak-preview of a Truffle Salt of the "Selezione Tartufi" brand (which are my favorite truffle oils) - this is a new product imported by a company called Italian Products USA. I didn't actually taste the truffle salt, but I got many (many) deep inhalations of it, and it smells utterly sublime, rich and wonderful. I gather that it will be available later this spring, that it will come in 2 strengths, and that it will be available at Whole Foods. I'd suggest keeping an eye out for this one!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I gather that it will be available later this spring, that it will come in 2 strengths,

Thanks for the update markk (by the way, did I ever p.m. you about the post-Strasbourg report?). Can you please elaborate on this statement?

and that it will be available at Whole Foods.  I'd suggest keeping an eye out for this one!

The W.F. near me has no truffle-infused products - discontinuing them!! :hmmm: I hope you're right.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I was told that the truffle salt will come in "two different concentrations", which I take to mean the amount of truffle. I really don't know much more than that, but I do believe it was pointed out to me that the one I smelled (that was outrageously sinful) was the weaker strength.

I was also told that Whole Foods would be carrying the product this Spring, and that's all I know. If I can find out any more, I'll certainly post it.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I made it to another W.F. today. This one had truffle oils - two brands:

1. Bella Terra - It says that it is "white truffle-infused," but somehow, the price doesn't really match the claim: $11.99 for 8.5 fl oz. Seems kind of underpriced for real white truffle-infused oil.

2. Sabatino Tartufi - This brand features 3.5 fl oz. of truffle-infused oil. White for $12.99 and black for $11.99. I tasted/smelled this brand - it was certainly very heady.

Can any one clue me in on what might account for the price difference?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account