• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Mark

Florida Jim

Dinner with Mark:

With assorted cheeses and nuts:

1998 Salomon, Grüner Veltliner Reserve:

Amid the fruit, an attractive cooked vegetable scent; medium bodied in the mouth with lovely balance and bright acidity; medium length finish. Showing at or near peak and very well, indeed.

With grilled pork chops, roasted onions on a bed of herbs, salad, and, roasted sweet potatoes:

1989 Chat. Lynch Bages:

(decanted 7 hours but even better after an hour in the glass) very complex nose with an herbaceous tone and a smoky accent on black fruit, some bottle bouquet; rich in the mouth (reminding me of the texture this had on release but better integrated) and again, very complex but the herbaceous element is all but gone; very long, layered finish. Magnificent wine that had us all rolling our eyes in awe. I suspect this has many years ahead of it.

and,

2000 Dessilani, Gattinara Reserva:

Much more new world in style (but not too much so for me) with dark chocolate predominant on the nose; smoothly textured, concentrated and rich on the palate with a strong chocolate note along with solid nebbiolo fruit; medium length finish. Suffered by following the Lynch but a fine wine despite its non-traditional profile. Ready now; will last at least awhile.

With cheese:

1996 Allemand, Cornas Reynard:

Expansive nose of compost, peat and black fruit; concentrated and intense of the palate without the richness of the preceding wine but with stronger flavors in a more compact and focused delivery, well balanced; long, powerful finish. Mark had never tasted this wine and, since I like it so much, I had to give him the chance. Curiously, he did not like it and said the nose smelled of decay although the palate was better.

Being a very experienced taster, I think his comments go to show that this wine is likely not for everyone; an idiosyncratic bottle that I adore. Good now; good later.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com