• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upcoming Anniversary

McTee

I'm having a tough time deciding where to take my lovely lady for our 2nd anniversary (not marriage).

I've been to most of the top restaurants in town, some not for a few years. My lady hasa very sensitive dairy allergy and I want to be sure that wherever we go will take the appropriate measures, and take them seriously.

Any suggestions?

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

West, hands down.

We celebrated our anniversary there last summer and I'd choose it over Lumiere in terms of warm, attentive service for such a special occasion. If you discuss your concerns about dairy sensitivities directly with the restaurant, Chef Hawksworth and his BOH crew will deftly accommodate them without the least bit of sacrifice to the quality of your dining experience.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

West, hands down.

We celebrated our anniversary there last summer and I'd choose it over Lumiere in terms of warm, attentive service for such a special occasion.  If you discuss your concerns about dairy sensitivities directly with the restaurant, Chef Hawksworth and his BOH crew will deftly accommodate them without the least bit of sacrifice to the quality of your dining experience.

Thank you, I just may try West again.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

Helen and I just celebrated our 7th at "C" last week. We had our wedding reception there seven years ago and have only missed one anniversary there. Same staff and they always treat us royally and for that matter anyone celebrating a special ocasion. They are super accomendating if you give them notice re allergies and etc.

Cheers and congrats.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We celebrated our 21st at Chambar and they couldn't have been nicer (I started a small thread about that evening -- it should be somewhere in this forum), but it might be a bit loud if you want romantic. We kinda like loud.

Paul B

Another vote for West. Had a phenomenal dinner recently and David is just the tyipe of guy who would make the effort to adjust the menu as needed to accommodate an allergy.

I don't tolerate black pepper very well (coughing/choking/sneezing) and he had no problem doing a tasting menu for me.

How special to you want to make this dinner? Does it have to be in Vancouver?

If you can get away, you'd really impress her with a dinner at the Rosemeade dining room at the English Inn, in Esquimalt (a short drive or taxi-ride from downtown Victoria).

Chef Richard Luttman is doing amazing things.

There is also accommodation at the inn, so you could stay the night.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

If you want to go "over the top"...

Check out Fly/Dine/Limo

I did this for Sandy's birthday (I should have done it to propose!)

You take her on a heli ride around vancouver and then the helicopter lands on grouse mountain and you get a table for two at the Observatory (back in 2000 it was really good I recall). Then you take the skyride down and a limo back home.

[Note - depending on the anniversary date, the red skyride is currently being serviced so I'd suggest talking to grouse first]

PM me if you want pics of the event. Sandy was really impressed!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello