• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three glasses

Florida Jim

1999 Gilles-Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Alberic Bouvet:

A faint whiff of brett blows off and the nose becomes expansive and complex; elegant across the palate but with no lack of concentration, worsted texture, excellent complexity, nice balance; medium length finish. After a brief closed phase (acidic) this is reopening to a more complex profile with an unsweetened chocolate texture. Shows well now, has lots of life left.

2002 Dom. Les Fines Graves (Janodet), Moulin à Vent:

Dark fruit nose with mineral and floral aspects; weightless in the mouth but showing plenty of intensity, some complexity and a deep down earthy streak on the palate; medium finish. ‘Structure to go for several years but very nice, if a touch closed, now.

2001 Bruno Giacosa, Nebbiolo D’Alba Valmaggiore di Vezza D’Alba:

The cork smelled better than most wines; the color is transparent and, when poured, this looks like very old Burgundy; a glorious nose of dust, roses, potting soil, cherries, and dried spices – I wish they made cologne that smelled like this; the weight and viscosity of fine, old Burgundy in the mouth but with an enchanting interplay of cherry, tartness, dust, tannin, tar and soil flavors that are all so perfectly balanced it is hard to pick out anything individually; long, tannic (but not drying) finish.

Two thoughts:

-Have you ever been to rural Italy? I remember it as relaxed – almost sleepy, more concerned with food than world affairs, sunny, fresh smelling, with incredibly old buildings and warm, pleasant people. To this day, I ask myself why I do not live there.

-Art is hard to define but it is always evocative. It takes me beyond my ’self’ and allows me (perhaps, even forces me) to see, hear, smell, taste, perceive in a different way.

This bottle is the confluence of these two thoughts.

It is . . . wonderful.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com