• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoney's Swan Song

Malawry

Read it here.

You know you've been there. I love that weird relish-ketchup-cocktail-salsa they dump on the burgers there. Can it really be true its days are numbered? And how could it possibly move--is it Stoney's without that patina of smoke and stale beer?

I love stoney's. As Logan Circle residents, we've been going to stoney's for a while. When we learned via Steve in June that the days were numbered a couple friends started Team Stoney's. Once a week we visit the "boss of the sauce" and live it up until its gone. Sometimes its 4 people, sometimes its 30.

As of last week, this wednesday, August 31, may be the last day, they'll find out on tuesday. If not, they think they will be able to be open through september. Don't let this place die without stopping by for a beer, chili cheese fries, pizza, grilled cheese, or a burger.

I'm going to miss stoney's.

Don't let this place die without stopping by for a beer, chili cheese fries, pizza, grilled cheese, or a burger.

Better yet, all at once.

*burp*

• 4 weeks later...

Stoney's lives, at least for now. Had a great burger and fries last night and for the first time ever got the Stoney Burger (sauce on the side). A regular burger with what seemed to be coarse chopped pickles or cukes in a cocktail type sauce.

I asked how much longer they'd be open and the bartender said "it depends on how well we do." He then said "We aren't going down without a fight."

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 2 months later...

Its official.

January 14th will be the last day of business for Stoney's. All legal action has failed.

My favorite neighborhood bar is closing.

Now I'll have to go hang at one of the dives on 14th before they get pushed out as well.

Belly up to the bar folks.

Order yourself up a Stoney's Ale and a Super Grilled Cheese.

Stoney's has survived for decades, but only has a few weeks left.

Its official.

January 14th will be the last day of business for Stoney's. All legal action has failed.

Now I'll have to go hang at one of the dives on 14th before they get pushed out as well.

One of the flyers I saw indicated that they planned on reopening at another location in 2006. I don't know how firm those plans are, but that sounded encouraging.

Its official.

Are there any dives left on 14th?

ahhh Stoney's. My wife and I hung out there so long ago that we also went to Matt Kane's around the corner, as well. And, anybody remember The Silver Dollar Lounge?

I'll have to find a way to get there one more time.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Steve and Atilla last night said the relocation plans were just rumors.

As far as dives on 14th, The Playbill next to yums has potential, but other than that its all getting pushed north and east.

Its not all bad. Nasty wings will be be had soon at Capitol Lounge. They've recently reopened on a limited basis.