• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Job's tears

I found packages of Job's tears at the Korean market, and I'd love to cook something that is at least semi-authentic. I tried Googling, but I only found one or two recipes that substituted them for western ingredients like barley. I assume my problem is that I don't know the correct name in a language other than English. :sad:

Please make suggestions! Thanks,

-Linda

That helps. Now I have the name "yi yi ren." Some searching for recipes came up with a lot of medicinal uses and preparations for conditions such as "leaky gut syndrome." :blink: Yikes. I was hoping for a soup or pilaf type dish.

Here. . .paraphrased but accurate. . from "The Splendid Grain" by Rebecca Wood. An excellent book if you like either the idea or the reality of eating grains. Fantastic book, in fact.

Job's Tears, Steamed

1 C Job's Tears

2 C water

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1 clove garlic, chopped or 1 small piece of ginger

Put the JT in saucepan on high heat. Toast for 5 minutes, stirring.

Put in colander and rinse well.

Water and salt should be brought to a boil on high heat. . .add the JT. Toss in garlic or ginger. On low heat, simmer covered for one hour.

Allow to stand for ten minutes covered.

Serve.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

how do we use it at home? we drink it as a beverage. very tasty. all you do is heat up a mug of water and simply mix tablespoonfuls of jobs tears into the cup and taste to see if you like it. i usually add 2-3 tbsp... we call this drink yulmucha (yoolmoocha). i dont know about any other foods made with yulmucha. perhaps later i can run a google search for <a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%EC%9C%A8%EB%AC%B4%EC%B0%A8&btnG=Search">율무차</a> or just plain 율무 and sift through the results for a recipe... maybe tonight. hope this helps.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Also called chinese barley, or sung sook yi mai in cantonese, it can be used interchangeably with pearl barley. In fact, I don't really like the taste of job's tears, but since it's supposed to have enhanced properties (*) compared to regular barley, when I make a drink I use both. Sweeten with rock sugar and add pandan leaves for flavour. Of course, there are many other herbal soups which are packed by our local medicinal halls which has it as an ingredient.

* Removes excess water from the body - used in some slimming tea concoctions

Cleans the urinary tract in the case of UTI

Effective for diarrhoea or loose bowels

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  I'll try making the tea first just to get an idea of the flavor of them.  Do you eat the grains in the bottom of the cup?
yes. use a spoon. and sweeten the drink too with sugar or honey to taste.
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Easy variations to the tea. Add candied winter melon instead of sugar. More flavor? Add dried longan meat for an earthy flavor. Throat discomfort? Add a dried lor hon kor(luo han kuo in mandarin) smashed once, lightly rinsed.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah