• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

What sorts of things did I eat when I was a kid?

- Ketchup & butter sandwiches on white bread

- Sugar & butter sandwiches on white bread

- Bologna, yellow mustard on smashed thin white bread

- Fried bologna & yellow mustard on non-smashed white bread

- American cheese, dill pickle chips & Best Foods mayo layered on white bread & then broiled until the cheese was gooey

- Butter, sugar and cinnamon on toast

- Hot chocolate made with canned milk

- Butter and sugar on saloon pilot crackers

- Tinned corned beef ground with boiled potatoes to make hash, fried & served with steamed rice & ketchup

- Jarred chipped beef in cornstarch thickened milk sauce over Bisquick biscuits

- Bisquick Coffee Cake

- Jello and Cool Whip parfait

- Browned hamburger mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup served over steamed rice

- Pillsbury biscuit dough wrapped around hot dogs & baked, dipped in yellow mustard

- Canned green beans heated with a dollop of bacon fat

- Boiled chicken gizzards

- Boiled beef tounge served hot for dinner

- Leftover boiled beef tounge & mustard sandwiches on white bread

- Instant pea soup & crumbled saltines

- Sardines & saltines

- Avocado half filled with a squirt of ketchup

- Green mango dipped in soy sauce

- Spam fried in margarine & soy sauce with steamed rice & fried eggs

- Portuguese Sausage & eggs with steamed rice

- Vienna Sausages straight from the can

- Vienna Sausages, sliced on white bread with Best Foods Mayo

- Canned salmon with steamed rice

- Saimin/Ramen noodles with Kamaboko (fishcake) & green oinions

What do I eat today from this long list? Not too much except for these which have been tweaked to fit my so called "grown up" tastes:

- Ketchup & butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread

- Butter, sugar & cinnamon on whole wheat bread toast

- Homemade mushroom sauce & browned ground beef over steamed rice

- Fresh salmon & steamed rice

- Steamed green beans saute'ed in bacon fat with with a chopped bacon slice

I'd forgotten about bread and dripping...now I'm jonesing.

I suspect that what you are is *old*! rotfl!

Dripping is worth it's weight in gold ... and now I have to *special order* a whole rack of beef (you don't want to know) to get it untrimmed, so I HAVE dripping!

What kind of world is it when the pork has no fat, and you can't buy a beef roast that gives you enough dripping to roast potatoes or make some yorkshire pudding????

Lynn

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

The thing I never have been able to figure out was something my mother made pretty regularly called Porcupine Meatballs.

OMG - I had completely forgotten about porcupine meatballs. Mom used to make them pretty often. I liked them, as I recall.

Yeah .. it says a lot that everybody liked them :-)

Lynn

Lynn

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

What sorts of things did I eat when I was a kid?

- Ketchup & butter sandwiches on white bread

- Sugar & butter sandwiches on white bread

- Bologna, yellow mustard on smashed thin white bread

- Fried bologna & yellow mustard on non-smashed white bread

- American cheese, dill pickle chips & Best Foods mayo layered on white bread & then broiled until the cheese was gooey

- Butter, sugar and cinnamon on toast

- Hot chocolate made with canned milk

- Butter and sugar on saloon pilot crackers

- Tinned corned beef ground with boiled potatoes to make hash, fried & served with steamed rice & ketchup

- Jarred chipped beef in cornstarch thickened milk sauce over Bisquick biscuits

- Bisquick Coffee Cake

- Jello and Cool Whip parfait

- Browned hamburger mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup served over steamed rice

- Pillsbury biscuit dough wrapped around hot dogs & baked, dipped in yellow mustard

- Canned green beans heated with a dollop of bacon fat

- Boiled chicken gizzards

- Boiled beef tounge served hot for dinner

- Leftover boiled beef tounge & mustard sandwiches on white bread

- Instant pea soup & crumbled saltines

- Sardines & saltines

- Avocado half filled with a squirt of ketchup

- Green mango dipped in soy sauce

- Spam fried in margarine & soy sauce with steamed rice & fried eggs

- Vienna Sausages straight from the can

- Vienna Sausages, sliced on white bread with Best Foods Mayo

- Canned salmon with steamed rice

- Saimin/Ramen noodles with Kamaboko (fishcake) & green oinions

What do I eat today from this long list?  Not too much except for these which have been tweaked to fit my so called "grown up" tastes:

- Ketchup & butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread

- Butter, sugar & cinnamon on whole wheat bread toast

- Homemade mushroom sauce & browned ground beef over steamed rice

- Fresh salmon & steamed rice

- Steamed green beans saute'ed in bacon fat with with a chopped bacon slice

I'd have thought that cinnamon toast was OK .. lol!

We also ate things like ... bacon and (canned) tomatoes, with bread and butter. Kipper snacks warmed in a little milk, also with bread and butter. Now that I think about it, those would be nice with some stewed tomatoes ...

Creamed mushrooms on toast, particularly if they were creamed in bacon fat ... we cooked almost everything in bacon fat, and I try to remember to save the bacon fat when I cook bacon even yet -

Sausage rolls. Nothing wrong with sausage rolls, is there? If there is, too bad; I still make them when I want an odds and ends kind of meal :-)

Oh, wait! Peas and cheese sauce on toast! Yes! My husband had also eaten this in the days of his misspent youth, and so we indulge together! In the spring we push out the full boat and eat ASPARAGUS on toast with cheese sauce! When I'm feeling ambitious, I fill a roux with gruyere or whatever is handy, but my husband is fond of [shudder] velveeta ....

Oh well ...

Lynn

Lynn

as a kid, my father taught me to make Peanut Butter and mayo sandwiches... a PBM.

about 5:1 ratio of PB to M. i still actually eat one from time to time.

i can't believe that this hideous confession is my first post on the forum. talk about making people reconsider having me on... :biggrin:

don't worry about it, matt. we all have those moments. welcome to the forums.

anyway, ok folks, i haven't seen this one on the thread, and i'm gonna spare you all the ignominy of googling 'gooey buns' -- seriously, don't do it. it's a bad idea.

this is the recipe.

i haven't had these in probably 20 years, but i'm about to hook that shit up this week, i'm thinking. seriously, grinding up bologna and cheese.... oh man..... ok this is... not good. i gotta nip this in the bud.

as a kid, my father taught me to make Peanut Butter and mayo sandwiches... a PBM.

about 5:1 ratio of PB to M.  i still actually eat one from time to time.

i can't believe that this hideous confession is my first post on the forum.  talk about making people reconsider having me on...  :biggrin:

If you've been reading the whole thread, you'll have seen you are in good company :-)

Peanut butter is good with all kinds of things. It's particularly good with bread and butter pickles :-) And great with bananas, and PB&B is even good for you! lol!

One of my favorites has always been celery stuffed with PB (and other things), but as I developed a rather violent allergy to celery, I now have to pass on these delectibles ..

Allergies are very annoying ...

Lynn

Lynn

White trash hors d'oeuvres from my childhood:

Festive Bologna 'n' Cheez Roll-Ups!

You've sparked a memory: My mom loved to squirt yellow mustard on bologna, roll it up, and eat it as a snack. As kids, my brother and I considered it a treat as well.

Other trashy bologna comfort food: This thread is making me crave the meal my mom most often served us for lunch in the summer. It was two slices of white bread, butter on one slice, and mustard on the other. One slice of bologna, one slice of Kraft processed cheese, and an iceberg lettuce leaf. Oh, and two sweet pickles, either on the side, or sliced thin and placed on the sandwich, diner's choice. Sides included plain Lays Potato chips, carrot sticks, and slices of cucumber and tomato from our garden. This was all washed down with a tall glass of milk. Entertainment was a game of cards or maybe a board game. I'd skip a meal at the finest restaurant in town to eat like this again with my mom and brother and recapture those moments.

April

Bologna ... hard to pass up a bologna sandwich; my husband likes them with a slice of processed cheese (my Dad the cheese freak called this 'soap cheese') and some sliced sweet pickles ..

Bologna and sweet pickles seem to do well together - One of my friends runs a couple of pounds of bologna through the coarse blade of a mincer with a couple of hard boiled eggs, a few sweet pickles and some raw onion, and moistens the result with a little mayo .. voila! Poor man's ham salad!

This is pretty good on crackers or what have you :-)

Lynn

Lynn