• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

One of my secret slummin' dinners: toast a slice of bread. With a fork, gently but firmly mash raw ground beef onto it about 1/3-1/2" thick...and cover every bit of the bread or it burns. Season well with fave seasonings, I use Tony Cachere's and ground pepper. Put in a 350 oven til just just a bit of pink remains and still juicy. Top with cheese of choice til melted. I then like to top it off with chopped green chile. :blush:

Lobster.

White trash hors d'oeuvres from my childhood:

Festive Bologna 'n' Cheez Roll-Ups!

1. Unfold five slices of bologna from the package.

2. Spread each slice evenly with approximately 1 T softened Velveeta Processed Cheeze-Like Food.

3. Roll the cheez-bedecked slices into jelly-roll-shaped logs.

4. Slice into 1 inch pieces.

5. Spear each piece with an ornate toothpick.

6. Serve with large glasses of Hawaiian Punch for the kiddies, or equally large glasses of Colt45 for the adults.

7. Puke and repeat.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Some ghetto food that I still crave, leftover from child and young adulthood:

White rice or egg noodles and brown gravy made from powder.

White rice, canned tuna microwaved, with hot sauce.

Spam fried rice: Spam, frozen peas, leftover rice, liberal hot sauce and soy.

Red beans and rice: Dented can of kidney beans (or any dented bean, dented=cheap) dumped into a pan, mashed, dosed with garlic and onion powders, hot sauce, and cooked till hot and gloopy, served over rice.

"Hamburger Mush": Browned hamburger, drained, can of cream soup, can of string beans, mixed veg, or corn, heated through. Sometimes cheese on top. Hot sauce, black pepper. Served over...you guessed it! Rice! Or, Tater Tots, if we were feeling flush. Egg noodles are also great. Sub in can of tuna or can of chicken for a lighter feast.

Frozen burritos, with velveeta and salsa covering. An upscale stoner version of this that I came to love, in my late teens involved a huge 7-11 burrito covered in 7-11 free nacho cheese, and hot dog "chili". Damn, that was some fine fine eating.

Ramen. Ramen made the way the bag says and sipped like consumme, slurping out noodles. No fork ever touches this version.

Ramen cooked in water, water discarded, hot sauce and sesame oil mixed in (sesame oil is a later addition, used to be margerine). Can of tuna, if it's for dinner.

Tuna, pickle relish, mayo, served on saltines.

Bologna, same way.

Campbell's tomato, browned hamburger, elbows.

Kraft mac & cheese, with Campbell's tomato stirred in. Hamburger sometimes.

I got a million of 'em. I lived on crap food, for more than half my life. This is the stuff I still get the taste for once in awhile. I actually still make the beans and rice, ramen, or sometimes the hamburger mush, when I'm feeling starchy.

Shit on the Shingle-chipped beef with campbells cream of mushroom,served over toast or mashed taters

My mother used to keep a supply of the meat-and-gravy-frozen-in-a-bag things in our freezer. Beef or turkey, served on toast. They were probably the closest thing that we had to an after school snack. I kinda want one now.

White trash hors d'oeuvres from my childhood:

Festive Bologna 'n' Cheez Roll-Ups!

You've sparked a memory: My mom loved to squirt yellow mustard on bologna, roll it up, and eat it as a snack. As kids, my brother and I considered it a treat as well.

Other trashy bologna comfort food: This thread is making me crave the meal my mom most often served us for lunch in the summer. It was two slices of white bread, butter on one slice, and mustard on the other. One slice of bologna, one slice of Kraft processed cheese, and an iceberg lettuce leaf. Oh, and two sweet pickles, either on the side, or sliced thin and placed on the sandwich, diner's choice. Sides included plain Lays Potato chips, carrot sticks, and slices of cucumber and tomato from our garden. This was all washed down with a tall glass of milk. Entertainment was a game of cards or maybe a board game. I'd skip a meal at the finest restaurant in town to eat like this again with my mom and brother and recapture those moments.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

White rice with brown gravy (powdered or from a glass jar) and hot sauce. I used to eat alot of that when I was younger and couldn't cook much else. Haven't had it in a long time, but I want some now...

Had tuna, rotini pasta, steamed brocc (leftover), frozen peas & ranch dressing all mixed together with hot sauce & lots of pepper for dinner last night. It was GOOD, but suitably low brow enough to be posted here.

Kids ate Beef-A-Roni because they didn't want any of my "tuna pasta salad mush" (my 12 year old decided on that name). :laugh:

A few more slummin' foods:

Sharp cheddar, mayo on white bread with red hot or jalapeno chips mushed in between.

Salsa mixed with shredded cheddar (not heated) and eaten with Nacho Cheese Doritos straight out of the jar. Or queso mixed with lots of Crystal and eaten right out of the jar.

S.O.S. - made with butter, flour & milk white sauce. (I used to love it when my mom made this) Served on toast.

Browned ground beef, mixed veggies (canned or frozen), elbows and cheese mixed together. Add ketchup & mustard to taste.

Lipton chicken flavor noodles, frozen peas & leftover roast chicken. Same thing with ground beef & beef noodles.

Fried bologna, cheese & egg sandwiches.

Pimento cheese on lightly toasted white bread with pickles on the side.

Ok, I think that is enough for now... :sad: Don't want to give away too many of my "secret recipes" :laugh: !!!!

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Aha, the weird sandwich combo's we devised as kids...I know many a lunchbox sandwich was enhanced by a layer of potato chips...especially good on a tuna-salad sandwich! And I remember the wide-eyed wonder of seeing a peanut butter and banana sandwich the first time (age 6).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 months later...

I used to take a slice of white bread, remove the crusts, squeeze the remainder into a ball, and then cover it with French's mustard...I did it because I thought the result tasted like pretzels. --Instead of just eating pretzels, which we had.

Man, kids are weird.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

• 4 months later...
Chip butty

I see your chip butty and raise you a bacon butty...ahhhh, the food of my youth!

what is it?? i'm ashamed to say i have NO idea :wacko:

In our house, we liked toast for the butties/buttys (what is the correct plural for butty???) so a bacon butty was toasted bread, bacon, and ketchup.

Heaven...

Edited to add that it just occurred to me that the foreign term might be "butty"...it's a sandwich.

I'll see your bacon butty, and raise you a fried egg and raw onion sandwich on white bread. With the yolk broken and smeared liberally around. Salt and pepper.

Bacon sandwiches in our house have the bacon put straight on the bread, and the opposite slice dipped in the bacon fat. Doesn't seasoning take it out of the 'ghetto food' class?

rotfl!

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

White bread, butter, sugar sandwich.

Slice hotdogs nearly in half, insert slice of cheeze. Wrap in pillsbury cresent roll dough. Cook til crescent dough is done. Eat with French's mustard.

Why is a bacon butty lowclass but a watercress sandwich at the opposite end of the culture scale? One involves a highly prepared meat product, the other features a weed....

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Toasted white bread sandwich with cream cheese and canned deviled ham.

Wheat thins, cream cheese and pepper jelly.

Chips, salsa and a beer.

PB&J on white bread.

Spaghettios.

Or just an old fashioned fridge dinner. You know, the kind where your head is in the fridge and if anybody came by, all they'd see is your big butt sticking out the back while you stuff yourself with a little of this, a little of that. Cold oscar meyer cheese dogs with ketchup, olives, pickles, first bread & butter, then dill, and anything in there that isn't green and fuzzy. (Unless of course, you like that kind of thing.) Tapas, small bites, ghetto style. :wink:

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

korean spicy ramen with:

green onions, korean sliced rice cake, pink kamaboko, kimchi, sliced spam, and raw egg on top. I can never eat ramen plain, I always add something to it

or fried spam and egg on white rice is just as delicious and not as time consuming.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Slice hotdogs nearly in half, insert slice of cheeze. Wrap in pillsbury cresent roll dough. Cook til crescent dough is done. Eat with French's mustard.

Why is a bacon butty lowclass but a watercress sandwich at the opposite end of the culture scale? One involves a highly prepared meat product, the other features a weed....

[/quote

Thanks for mentioning the butter and sugar sandwich. A big favorite growing up although I would never serve it to my own kids.

Edited by Toasted (log)

Melissa

Damn, my mom use to feed us these when we were kids. She wanted to make sure she fattened us up. She did a good job too!

My mother would do these from time to time, but I suspect that it was mostly because she wanted one - it wasn't a regular thing. She'd put beef drippings on toast, too, which we never got hooked on.

As a child I was offered in various places, mustard sandwiches, ketchup sandwiches, onion sandwiches ...

The thing I never have been able to figure out was something my mother made pretty regularly called Porcupine Meatballs. It goes something like this:

Mix about 1/4 c of minute rice into a pound of hamburger, with a small onion minced fine. Make meatballs with this mixture, and roll them in more minute rice.

Put them in a pot and dump a can of Campbell's tomato soup over it, plus a can of water. Simmer until meatballs and rice are cooked.

Serve over mashed potatoes. If you want to get very fancy, put a pinch of basil into either the meatballs or the soup before you pour it over them.

I suppose the tomato soup in this consists of 'vegetable' .. lol!

I guess if ketchup is a vegetable, so is tomato soup :-) It tastes fine, but that's a lot of starch :-)

Lynn

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

Oh man. I had forgotten about butter (actually, it was margarine for spreadability) and sugar sandwiches. On Mrs. Baird's white bread, of course. God those were good.

Other low-brow treats:

Gravy and bread. Exactly what it sounds like. You had a peice or two of white bread and smother it in gravy. Eat with fork.

Flour tortillas heated up directly on the coil of the electric burner, spread with butter, rolled up, and eaten. Sometimes sugar would be sprinkled on, bringing a Southwest-fusion element to the traditional butter and sugar sandwich.

Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches: Fry some bacon. Fry an egg in the grease. Pour off some of the grease. Assemble sandwich: white bread, two slice of American cheese on each peice, egg, and bacon in the middle. Grill in leftover bacon grease until bread is toasty and cheese is melty. It's been years since I made myself one of these. I think I need one.

Also, my favorite, favorite childhood snack and now favorite drunk food: peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich. Oh heaven.

I am re-reading what I have written here and can't believe my mother let us eat this stuff. Dear lord.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

so, the baby is in bed & the husband is at work. time for quick & easy, but tasty food for me!! when i have no one else to worry about it, i totally slum it... tonights selection was:

IMGP4256.jpg

(sorry, this meal is so low class, i couldn't even post a full bowl)

top ramen (oriental flavor)

scallions

sauce of:

sesame oil

siracha

soy sauce

chunky peanut butter

chinese mustard

topped off w/ kim chee

stuff is tasty... but certifiably ghetto.

please share your low brow favs so i can branch out!!

HAHAHAHA! Awesom-o

Here's the American version

Lipton instant noodle soup and tomatoe ketchup.

I grew up on this and still stand by it.

And there's always cambell's soup cookery!

I've said too much...

EDIT

Gawd, I can't keep my mouth shut...

Serve with a side of grilled cheese for dipping

Edited by Six-pack-to-go (log)
Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

Oh, Man, I could RULE this thread...

Favorites:

Chipped beef gravy on toast (White sauce, rinsed dried beef, shot of tabasco, and a handful of shredded cheese)

Velveeta shells and cheese with a can of Mexican style chili beans

Meatball porcupines (I add a little garlic to mine), served over mashed potatoes w/cream cheese

"poor man's stroganoff" - browned ground beef and onion, can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream w/chives, lots of black pepper, served over Minute Rice of course - actually having some left-over for supper tonight.

It's not that I can't cook better, I just happen to NEED my comfort foods, and I've even tweaked them/updated them for my personal tastes. My Mom would probably think I've ruined her recipes the way I make them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...