• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outstanding in the Field

SBonner

Helen and I will go again this year. It was a fantastic evening last year. It will be interesting to see the chef line up this year. Chef Jeff are you reading? Hopefully the wines will be better this year.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...

Tickets go on sale Friday:

Hi, Arne,

I just wanted to let you know that the Outstanding in the Field dinner is on for August 6th at UBC. The cost will be $150 Canadian. Chef David Hawksworth from West is making a return appearance. I don't yet know the winemaker(s).

Jim Denevan has been out of town for a couple of weeks unexpectedly, and they've been unable to move ahead with tour details. But please tell your friends that, on Friday, they can make reservations using PayPal (which will entail a very small service fee). No checks can be taken this time, as apparently international banking is a huge hassle (especially when you're inside a rolling bus).

Katy and everybody are hoping that y'all will be able to return: they're glad you enjoyed yourselves last year!

Thanks,

Tana Butler

www.iheartfarms.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Outstanding in the Field is returning to UBC farm this year on August 1st with a new chef:

This will be our fourth visit to the University of British Columbia Farm. UBC Farm is a beautiful, diverse farm in the heart of Vancouver. UBC Farm supplies fresh produce to area restaurants and to a small, on site farmer's market. UBC is also a place where student interns dig, plant, and gather knowledge of sustainable agriculture.

Our chef this year will be Andrea Carlson of Bishop's restaurant. John Bishop, owner of Bishop's, was a pioneer in the successful effort to secure and promote locally sourced ingredients. Mark Bomford, Director of UBC Farm, and Chef Andrea have strengthened that tie and forged a thriving partnership. We will hear their story and celebrate the fruits of a growing collaboration.

Cheers,

Anne

I was reading this thread the other day and was surprised to see Saskatchewan Chantrelle's on the menu.  I was surprised because I did not think that one of Vancouver best chefs would be using a product that comes from my hometown and something that we in the restaurant industry very rarely see here in Saskatoon. This product is almost in our backyard (4hour drive north of Saskatoon) 

Northern Lights foods is the company that picks the mushrooms is also involved in wild rice production.  You can find out more info on the the stuff they do at Northernlightsfoods.com

David Hawksworth is still a big fan of Saskatchewan chanterelles. Here's a quote from a 23 May Vancouver Sun article:

"Saskatchewan chanterlles are so small but absolutely the most incredible thing ever. They're always perfect and beautiful. I don't know what makes them so, but they're unbelievable. They're amazing in risotto or with halibut or beef or squab - they go with everything that I love."

Read the whole article here: David Hawksworth's favourite toys

Cheers,

Anne