• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hugh Hamilton Wines

SBonner

I had the opportunity to sit down for lunch with Mary Hamilton, the export director and daughter, of Hugh Hamiltion Wines. I was impressed by the quality and price points of the wines and was interested in some international feed back. These wines are currently unavailable in Western Canada.

2004 Viognier

2003 Merlot

2003 Shiraz

2004 Cabernet

I'll post my notes and Canadian prices if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

any connection to Richard Hamilton wines?

I recall a very good cabernet a few years ago and am curious.

Good point! I understand that there were several brothers who were in the wine business that went their separate ways and Hugh Hamilton has a "Black Sheep" on this label...I'm guessing he's the black sheep of the faimily as well?

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

From the Hugh Hamilton Wines web site:

Five generations of Hamilton winemakers and then there is Hugh. Every family has a black sheep and Hugh is it. Hugh does things his own way and is responsible for all the unusual grape varieties we have in the ground. He is also responsible for a lot of the nonsense that goes on around here and his sense of the ridiculous is known to go into full swing after dark whilst consuming generous amounts of his own product. The one thing that Hugh is serious about is what goes into the bottle and the fact that you are only as good as your last vintage, irrespective of how many years you have under your belt.

As to the brother relationship, from a legal document supposedly about use of name:

Richard Hamilton had commenced to sell wine under the name RICHARD HAMILTON in about 1972 and that his brother Hugh Hamilton had sold wines under the label HUGH HAMILTON WINES since the early 1990’s.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero