• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

This was our first larger-than-four dinner party at the new house and as our friends arrived, Diane put out a bowl of red lentil spread with crackers, pistachios and herbed peach slices. To accompany, flutes of the NV Marques de Monistrol, Cava Brut Reserva Selection Especial were offered; light frothy and earthily flavorful.

Our first course was angel hair pasta with olive oil, lemon and herbs. We opened a bottle of the 1998 Château Couhins-Lurton, Bordeaux Blanc, one of the few 100% sauvignon white Bordeaux and although it worked with the dish, it seemed to lack any real depth and the oak smells and flavors were obvious. One taster said it smelled of cinnamon stick which is a bit kinder than my appraisal.

When a bowl of squash soup with gorgonzola arrived, we tried the 1998 Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling Clos Hauser which was excellent with the soup in its boisterous, slightly sweet attack but bone dry finish, way. A big wine and texturally weighty but plenty of acidity, too. Thanks Michele.

The entrée was a composed salad of baby greens, chopped tomatoes, sweet corn, herbs and boiled shrimp with some kind of light dressing that did not compete with the wine but certainly livened-up the dish. A 2004 Dom. de la Pepière, Muscadet was just superb; plenty of cut and still light enough to let the fresh flavors shine through. Buying Blackwoodian quantities of this is one of the smarter things I’ve done.

Several cheeses finished the meal; some aged gouda, aged goat cheese and a triple cream from Australia (the name of which escapes me); along with two red wines. The 1986 Heitz Cellars, Cabernet Sauvignon Martha’s Vineyard is among the most intensely aromatic wines I have known. The eucalyptus so prevalent in this bottling has morphed into some earthy, organic odor and the fruit is still tooth stainingly powerful. At once complex and focused, this was an extraordinary experience. Thanks Jason.

Whereas, the 1992 Dom. Prieuré Roch, Clos de Vougeot was translucent, soft and oh, so gentle on the palate. It is past its best but that best must have been very good as it has a fine, complex, lilting nose and a completely resolved, decaying fruit palate that gradually fades away beautifully. Thanks John.

The first of many such dinners, I hope.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com