• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BEAT THE HEAT!

Rich Pawlak

I am presently grooving on two killer summer beers that seem better than ever: Yards Saison (Philadelphia) and Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale (Cherry Hill, NJ). Maybe it's been the excessive East Coast heat, but I found these beers to have a little more "oomph" this season; the FF Farmhouse now finishes with a sweet nutty snap that just puts an exclamation point on every sip; the Saison seems to have lightened the citrus in favor of a little more hop prescence, while still remaining seriously quaffable.

So there's my two faves for the summer.

Yours? And give us details.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Simple lager beers that do very well ice cold, like Presidente or Rolling Rock. Or Czechvar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I usually drink hefeweizens in the summer, and continue to do so. But I have also been drinking Trumer Pils, especially when out back cooking at my grill. But the big surprise summertime treat this year has been from a tiny brewery in SE Oklahoma. Choc Beer, from Pete's Place (aka Krebs Brewing) in Krebs, OK. Choc has recently started to be offered in bottles and it is damn good! It is kind of like an American wheat, but it has more hop presence. It is light and hoppy, kinda cloudy, crisp and refreshing, and it is my latest go-to-beer to beat the heat.

I've been meaning to call the brewer, Michael Lalli, and tell him how much I've been enjoying his beer. Guess I'll try to do that next week.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

• 2 weeks later...
A friend just brought back a beer from czech for me called Radegast. I have to say it was v. v good. It had every thing you could want really. I think its the same brewery as Urquel

Yes, Urquell purchased Radegast a few years ago. Radegast is a lager whereas Urquell is a pilsner. I had plenty of both when I was in Czechoslovakia (as it was still called back in 1992). When a 16 ounce bottle only cost the equivalent of 25 cents, it's easy to become a fan of any beer. I tended to like Urquell on its own and Radegast with food.

But as far as summer beers go for me, they're in the same category as lawnmower beers.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I've never considered "summer beers". It's more of a mood thing for me. When I've finished a sweaty job or I need a "Sauna" beer I prefer a lager of some sort otherwise I prefer golden to dark ales. My choice of late has been Faxe 8.5% Lager.

Anchor Steam Liberty Pale Ale.

This is very flavor placked but has a dry lemony finish--it is quite thirst quenching in addition to being satisfying in the complexity area.

Of course-- Rolling Rock if you are into "lawnmower beers."

oddly I like my overall (any season) beers in the summer as well:

Anchor Steam Lager

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale