• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Marketing Gimmicks

Rebel Rose

And hopefully never will.

Tangential discussions have got me thinking--how do you produce a truly crisp, non-oaked white wine, yet sell it to a public that equates oak/furniture flavor with elegance?

I'm thinking we could tie tiny mesh bags of itsy bitsy wood chips or wood dust to the neck of the bottle. With a classy ribbon. Add your own! Five minutes for light oak, ten to fifteen for medium-heavy. Wine club members would have the more advanced choice of ordering light, medium, or heavily toasted oak with their wines.

Now, how to handle the issue of malolactic? :unsure:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ooooh how about oak shavings in tea bags! :laugh:

Malolactic... attached a pint of one of those imitation-flavored coffee creamers to the bottle.

After a successful marketing blitz into the tertiary markets, red wine would be next with a cross promotion with Smuckers Blackberry jam. Take that 82 Parker and turn it into a 97-100 in fifteen seconds. :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Malolactic... attached a pint of one of those imitation-flavored coffee creamers to the bottle.

A pint might be a bit much, but I like the ziptop creamer idea. I was thinking of putting ML starter in a small vial. But that would look like . . . well, it's usually yellow . . . no, not a good marketing idea. Unless it's sauvignon blanc?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook