• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

spelling

On 11/8/2023 at 10:28 AM, lindag said:

Any updates on the repairs?

Everything's working correctly now! We had to cool our heels in Llano for the landing gear to get fixed, though we spent less time there than usual. The furnace problem resolved itself. It may seem ironic that the furnace started working when it got warmer outside, but we think there had been frost or ice blocking the air intake until the warmer weather melted it.

The weird thing is, we usually spend up to a week in Llano anyway, yet this time the waiting -- and calling to find someone when the first guy didn't come through -- and helping with the repairs when we finally found someone -- preoccupied and apparently stressed us to the point that we did much less exploring than we usually do. We never even crossed the bridge to get to the main part of town and visit my favorite kitchen store. Not that we needed anything (so far I seem to have remembered it all, for once) but it's always fun to look. This time, I couldn't be bothered. Stress. 

For the same reason, I didn't take as many photos of the grocery store offerings as I usually do. Still, we visited several times and kept buying more food or wine. Here, I give you Lowe's Market. This place has a fine selection of starter plants and herbs in the spring. In the fall, everyone's busy thinking about deer hunting instead, with deer corn and automatic feeders for sale. There are always smokers and cookers outside the store, but it appeared that the stock had almost completely been bought out by the time I took these photos. The barrel barbecue cost a couple hundred dollars, as I recall.

20231108_102817.jpg

Inside the store are a lot of sporting goods and kitchen appliances (meat grinders and sausage stuffers, anyone?)

20231108_102636.jpg

They have an interesting selection of beer and wine. We've been making the most of the Oktoberfest offerings, and bought what seems to have been their last Hacker-Schorr and Paulaner. The offerings now are going to the "winter" seasonal brews.

20231108_102223.jpg

They have racks and racks of sausages, though their offerings aren't as good as at the next place I'll show you. I very much like the Opa's sausages, so I picked up some of them.

20231103_140428.jpg

I've had lobstah rolls on the brain for quite a while, ever since the lobster meat arrived last summer in my ButcherBox shipment. I still haven't eaten that meat! It's in the freezer somewhere. Meanwhile, I found rolls at Lowe's that looked like they'd be perfect. I've been enjoying them for sandwiches.

20231108_102423.jpg

By the time I get to the lobstah, I'll have to find more rolls.

Smithy

Smithy

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

Any updates on the repairs?

Everything's working correctly now! We had to cool our heels in Llano for the landing gear to get fixed, though we spent less time there than usual. The furnace problem resolved itself. It may seem ironic that the furnace started working when it got warmer outside, but we think there had been frost or ice blocking the air intake until the warmer weather melted it.

The weird thing is, we usually spend up to a week in Llano anyway, yet this time the waiting -- and calling to find someone when the first guy didn't come through -- and helping with the repairs when we finally found someone -- preoccupied and apparently stressed us to the point that we did much less exploring than we usually do. We never even crossed the bridge to get to the main part of town and visit my favorite kitchen store. Not that we needed anything (so far I seem to have remembered it all, for once) but it's always fun to look. This time, I couldn't be bothered. Stress. 

For the same reason, I didn't take as many photos of the grocery store offerings as I usually do. Still, we visited several times and kept buying more food or wine. Here, I give you Lowe's Market. This place has a fine selection of starter plants and herbs in the spring. In the fall, everyone's busy thinking about deer hunting instead, with deer corn and automatic feeders for sale. There are always smokers and cookers outside the store, but it appeared that the stock had almost completely been bought out by the time I took these photos. The barrel barbecue cost a couple hundred dollars, as I recall.

20231108_102817.jpg

Inside the store are a lot of sporting goods and kitchen appliances (meat grinders and sausage stuffers, anyone?)

20231108_102636.jpg

They have an interesting selection of beer and wine. We've been making the most of the Oktoberfest offerings, and bought what seems to have been their last Hacker-Schorr and Paulaner. The offerings now are going to the "winter" seasonal brews.

20231108_102223.jpg

They have racks and racks of sausages, though their offerings aren't as good as at the next place I'll show you. I very much like the Opah's sausages, so I picked up some of them.

20231103_140428.jpg

I've had lobstah rolls on the brain for quite a while, ever since the lobster meat arrived last summer in my ButcherBox shipment. I still haven't eaten that meat! It's in the freezer somewhere. Meanwhile, I found rolls at Lowe's that looked like they'd be perfect. I've been enjoying them for sandwiches.

20231108_102423.jpg

By the time I get to the lobstah, I'll have to find more rolls.