• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Addendum

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Read the article -- while the brown butter viniagrette tweaks me, and the grits-and-greens dish could almost make me think about trying turnip greens One More Time, it was the Red Pea and Onion Gravy that has catapulted near the top of my "I have to try this" list. I mean -- damn!

And I guess I'm going to have to break down and get the book. 

It really is a good book, kayb. It's the sort of book that is entertaining to read regardless of whether one cooks from it.  The few recipes I've tried from it have been good.  I'm still having trouble cooking from an ebook and tend to use it less than I might if it were a physical book.

Thank you for the frittata recommendation!  It was a good opportunity for a one-pan meal on a night when it was raining(!) and blowing and cool enough for us to appreciate having the oven on. Asparagus, roasted peppers, onions (two types), bacon and the collards, surrounded by eggs, milk and cheese - what wasn't to like?  It was a one-pan meal except for the prep dishes, and we both loved it.  The collards were unobtrusive but added a nice flavor that I could detect because I was looking for it.

20170322_232643.jpg

We'll have the leftovers sometime today.

Edited to add: leftovers for breakfast.  Here's a better photo of the finished product.

20170323_092905.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Read the article -- while the brown butter viniagrette tweaks me, and the grits-and-greens dish could almost make me think about trying turnip greens One More Time, it was the Red Pea and Onion Gravy that has catapulted near the top of my "I have to try this" list. I mean -- damn!

And I guess I'm going to have to break down and get the book. 

It really is a good book, kayb. It's the sort of book that is entertaining to read regardless of whether one cooks from it.  The few recipes I've tried from it have been good.  I'm still having trouble cooking from an ebook and tend to use it less than I might if it were a physical book.

Thank you for the frittata recommendation!  It was a good opportunity for a one-pan meal on a night when it was raining(!) and blowing and cool enough for us to appreciate having the oven on. Asparagus, roasted peppers, onions (two types), bacon and the collards, surrounded by eggs, milk and cheese - what wasn't to like?  It was a one-pan meal except for the prep dishes, and we both loved it.  The collards were unobtrusive but added a nice flavor that I could detect because I was looking for it.

20170322_232643.jpg

We'll have the leftovers sometime today.

Edited to add: leftovers for breakfast.  Here's a better photo of the finished product.

20170323_092905.jpg