• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Babbo and Balthazar alternatives

elfin

Will be in NY for two midweek nights and have spent days looking through this forum's posts to find places like Babbo and Balthazar (my two go to destinations) for this trip. Since I will be dining solo, have thought about eating at wd-50 at the bar and am at a loss for one other place. I was also thinking about Sripraphai in Queens (I am not subway/public mass trans phobic-I live in Chicago). My only limit is no Japanese/sashimi places. Any recs would be most appreciated.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Starting with number seven (my first six choices are sushi bars) I might suggest the Bar at the Modern, Gramercy Tavern, db Bistro, Union Square Cafe, Blue Hill, Hearth (not the bar bar as much as the bar beside the pass looking into the kitchen) and Casa Mono (totally different from Babbo as opposed to Lupa, which is different, but Italian).

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I wouldn't advise Sripraphai just because going alone isn't much fun -- you want as many people there as possible so you can order and try a ton of stuff.

I second the "bar at the pass" at Hearth. Marco gives people who sit there little extra freebies to try. It's a lot of fun.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Starting with number seven (my first six choices are sushi bars) I might suggest the Bar at the Modern, Gramercy Tavern, db Bistro, Union Square Cafe, Blue Hill, Hearth (not the bar bar as much as the bar beside the pass looking into the kitchen) and Casa Mono (totally different from Babbo as opposed to Lupa, which is different, but Italian).

I'd add Gotham Bar & Grill.

I would suggest going to places that are cooking at the peak of their ability.

Blue Hill, L'Impero (you already got WD-50)

Avoid places like Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe - places living on their reputation. Always underwhelming.

I have eaten solo at Blue Hill, Lupa, Gramecy, Union Square, The Moden (bar room), Gotham with all amazing results.

If I had to pick one to go back to by myself tonight, it would be Blue Hill. I like it best because it is small so there is a good relationship with the Bartender -- she/he takes good care of you because you are only one of 6 or 7 people.

But you may want to call ~30 minutes ahead and ask them if you can reserve a space at the bar for dinner.

-j

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Another vote for Blue Hill.

Fantastic food, relaxed atmosphere, attentive service, a perfect choice if eating solo at the bar.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Went to Blue Hill. It was everything everyone said and more. Unassuming interior, very attentive service and diverse menu. That said, the food was delicious. The frois was sublime, the duck was very good and no one blinked when I asked for the duck medium rather than rare. The pork was very good. I understand they raise their own pigs. The strawberry and lemon cake dessert and chocolate pudding were grat ends to the meal. I highly recomend the place.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Black Berkshire pigs. I tend to think of them as the porcine equivalent of heirloom tomatoes.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

But there are so many genuine heirloom varieties of pig, why do you think the US market is so dependent on the berkshire breed for an 'alternative variety?'

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP