• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

France on a Shoestring

John Whiting

I think it's worth noting that travelers from different parts of the world will have different needs and interests based solely on their home base. Coming from America or Australia will involve a greater transportation cost just to get to France. Amortizing in this base figure for a short vacation may well make some savings in room, board and local transportation seem trivial at times. On the other hand, visitors from the UK, Belgium and other neighboring countries will have a different perspective. The cost of travel within France may vary for north Americans and EU nationals. Cars can be hired for less if reservations are made from within North America that at the rental agency in France in most cases. However the savings may only be had with rentals of three days or longer. Depending on the number of passengers and the distance involved, travel by car can be less expensive than by rail. (Rail tickets should not be purchased via RailEurope in the US, if economy is at all a concern. Use the SNCF web site and pick the tickets up in France.) It should however be said that seeing the highway from a moving car is quite different from seeing the countryside. In general the TGV will get you from downtown to downtown faster, but once you start chaging trains and using local service, you may be ahead on the clock by driving as well as not tied to a timetable. For me the latter can be quite annoying at times.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Visiting top French patissiers' shops can be relatively low cost and rewarding. Some even have savory items (e.g., certain sandwiches at Pierre Herme . . .

I have a sample list of Pierre Herme sandwiches (interested members should verify availability with a particular store on the same day):

-- For euros 4.30: Sandwich brioche au foie gras mi-cuit (Foie gras)

-- For euros 4.60: Sanwich au crabe (crab with herbed mayo)

There are also mini-sandwiches (very small):

-- For euros 2.45: Sandwich pain de mie tarama (cod roe spread, origination might have been Greek?)

-- For euros 2.15: Sandwich pain de mie aux piquillos et jambon San Daniele (eggs mimosa, wood-cooked peppers and dried San Daniele ham)

-- For euros 2.45: Sandwich pain de mie au saumon fume et raifort (smoked salmon and horseradish)

-- For euros 1.50: Sandwich pain de mie au fraomge frais et fines herbes (cheese with garlic and herbs)

-- For euros 2.15: Sandwich pain de mie au cresson et crevettes (watercress and shrimp)

-- For euros 1.90: Sandwich pain de mie a la tomate et roquette (tomato and rocket)

-- For euros 2.45: Sandwich mini-baguette au jambon San Daniele  :wink: