• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two light dinners

Florida Jim

2002 Dönnhoff, Riesling Qba:

Light on the aromatics, heavy on the acid/structure, little fruit and still a pretty lengthy finish. I don’t have enough experience here; the producer leads me to believe it’s just shut down; the Qba level leads me to believe its past prime – does someone with more experience than I have an opinion? David? John?

Good with Thai curry chicken.

2000 Domaine du Vissoux, Moulin á Vent Rochegrès:

Ah yes; a fine example of why cru Beaujolais will always be part of my cellar; expansive nose of strawberry, raspberry, flowers, minerals, spices and very light earth tones – all nicely layered and much more integrated than my description can impart; deep flavors that follow the nose, completely resolved structure, a solid backbone of chalky mineral, excellent complexity and balance; medium length, intensely fruity finish. Still a full-blooded gamay with clarity and authenticity – even so, I can sense it moving toward its pinot-esque stage; where many good gamays go when they fully mature. Really quite something at the moment and a nice future even if as a changeling.

Delicious with polenta and marinara sauce.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I don't have experience with the Donnhoff.

Given it is a QBa from a very good vintage one would expect it to be

a lighter wine of some charm.

It is extremely doubtful this wine has or will ever "close down" and at just three years old it is or should not be "over the hill".

My best guess is that it was not a particularly fine or interesting wine to begin with.

I agree with you re: Beaujolais!!!