• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new world/old world

Conor

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but does anyone have a defintive answer to how to catagorize where is old world and where is new world. Is there an easy way, or is it more blurred? :huh:

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but does anyone have a defintive answer to how to catagorize where is old world and where is new world. Is there an easy way, or is it more blurred?  :huh:

Technically speaking, Old World is Europe and New World is North America, South America and Australia. Where the blur comes in is using New World techniques in Old World vineyards. Some examples: Chateau de Valandraud, Mauro, L'Ermita.

Mark

Short answer is, Old World is the wine producing countries of the Eurasian continent. France, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Greece, etcetera.

"New World" includes countries "discovered" by European nations in relatively modern times. The Americas, Australia, New Zealand. Most wines in these nations are produced using grape stock imported from the "Old World"

To my mind it is no longer a particularly useful distinction, as many "Old World" wineries are now producing "New World" style wines. And vice versa, as "Old World" wineries abandon their classic styles many "new world" wineries produce wines in more traditional styles.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

If you are looking for nothing more than a geographical distinction, you've got your answer. If, however, you are interested in some of the stylistic differences, those are discussed a bit in this thread. The title of the thread is East Coast v. West Coast and discusses palate differences among consumers, but it broadens out into what would be considered an Old World v. New World discussion.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero