• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seabra's Rodizio

Ate at Seabra's Rodizio in Ironbound a few days ago for the first time. I'm not sure what kind of beef it was, but it was probably the best tasting beef I have ever had anywhere! Perfectly seasoned on the salty side. I think it was either skirt or flank steak.

Everything was very good, except for the Ostrich and Buffalo, which were a bit over done. They even served some alligator!

I'm not sure what kind of beef it was, but it was probably the best tasting beef I have ever had anywhere!  Perfectly seasoned on the salty side.  I think it was either skirt or flank steak. 

I believe what you are reffering to is called Picanha. It comes from the inner thigh of the cow and is really tender. If it looked like this it was definately Picanha:

gallery_16368_889_165661.jpg

gallery_16368_889_98760.jpg

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I believe what you are reffering to is called Picanha. It comes from the inner thigh of the cow and is really tender.  If it looked like this it was definately Picanha:

Picanha is top sirloin, no? I don't believe it has anything to do with the leg....

I believe what you are reffering to is called Picanha. It comes from the inner thigh of the cow and is really tender.  If it looked like this it was definately Picanha:

Picanha is top sirloin, no? I don't believe it has anything to do with the leg....

I could be wrong, It's happened before!LOL My source was a Portugese woman who IMHO knows her food.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless of where it comes from, that meat looks really freeking good.

Question for rodizio experts:

I've been to rodizio twice, the first time I was accompanied by a Brazillian friend and we were served all sorts of weird stuff I've never seen before. The second time (different joint) all we got was "standard" fares. Is there a secret to getting the more "adventurous" cuts, or is it just a matter of asking for it?

• 4 weeks later...

I am very tempted to take a ride down to check this place out. It looks really good. Does anybody know anything about prices? When do dinner hours start? What are the differences between lunch and dinner in terms of offerings? Finally, is there a "best time" to go to avoid the nightmarish traffic on Route 21? Thanks for any information!

I am very tempted to take a ride down to check this place out. It looks really good. Does anybody know anything about prices? When do dinner hours start? What are the differences between lunch and dinner in terms of offerings? Finally, is there a "best time" to go to avoid the nightmarish traffic on Route 21? Thanks for any information!

I work on this end of Newark, and would only suggest you stay away from Rt 21 during regular rush hours. If you're coming to the Ironbound for dinner, just make it after 6-6:30, and you'll be fine! And fwiw, I prefer dinner to lunch only b/c lunch in any of these places tends to be full of 'suits'. Plus, you can linger over dinner...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."