• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Cellars UK

PassionateChefsDie

Hi

I've got an interest in wine, first I would like to point out though if the opportunity to make a little return from an investment in wine came about this wouldn't be my main reason!

Over the years I have come across wine sellers who for a price will cellar your wine in a controlled enviroment, my question is who does this and who do people think will give me the best deal i.e Some wine merchants will cellar there wine for a cheaper price than if I got from another dealer and moved it over.

But this doesn't always work out for the best because if the said cellar isn't likely to stock the better wines, then it will work out more expensive over time as I move the better wines to the cheaper cellar. Also some won't take single bottles and some will only take half cases!

I would be very grateful for any advice on this subject as I mentioned it would be UK based. Also am I better paying the Tax before or on release of the wine from the cellar?

All suggestions gratefully recieved even if they only take full cases.

Many Thanks

Stef

P.S. If this has been covered in another thread please merge as I couldn't find it!

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!