• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chapel Hill experts

hazardnc

I wil have the dubious fortune of chaperoning 6 females between the ages of 16 and 18 while they attend journalism camp at UNC for 4 days in June.

I am embarassed to admit, I have lived in NC for 12 years and I have never been to the Triangle. I am looking for suggestions on great places to take the kids for dinner (these need to be affordable/budget) as well as suggestions for foodie places I can visit while they are in workshops.

I am sure a great burger joint would be a hit, as well as 'cue, and perhaps something tat will give the girls a real taste of life on campus at Chapel Hill.

Thanks!

How I miss Chapel Hill!

I would recommend Foster's Market for yummy sandwiches/pizzas.

My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill was 411 West (on Franklin St.). You could go there for a nice lunch while the girls are at their camp.

For a casual lunch or breakfast, try Breadmans. You should hit both Crooks Corner (dinner) and Mama Dips (lunch), as both are institutions.

For interesting Asian fare, that's a little bit more expensive, go to Lantern.

There's no shortage of good Mexican joints in the area.

For barbecue, head north on state highway 86 to Allen and Son.

I'll try to get you some links to these places.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Question:  are these convenient to the campus?

Yes, they are all very convenient to the campus. Allen & Sons is the only one not right dowtown - you have to drive a few minutes out of town. All of the other ones are right on Franklin St and Rosemary St, except Foster's Market which is down Airport Rd at Hillsboro St. (is that right? It has been a while!)

Foster's Market

411 West

The kids would probably LOVE Carrburritos - and it's cheap and close to campus.

http://www.carrburritos.com/

Another teen-friendly place is Elmo's Diner in Carrboro, I love their breakfasts

http://www.elmosdiner.com/ - go for the specials

I was poor then, so I don't have a lot of fine-dining experience there! Elmo's is right next to a natural food market if you have anyone with special dietary needs.

Whole Foods will have to be on the list b/c we don't have one here yet. How Winston-Salem got one before Charlotte is beyond me!

I will also have to add a Southern Season to the list. Some time ago, Kathleen Purvis wrote an article for the Observer on food shopping in the Triangle. I believe there was some ethnic market - maybe Italian - that she highly recommended.

I want to see the Carboro Famer's market - are they open during the week?

What bakeries are there? Is there a good Middle East bakery where I can get fresh pita?

After seeing A Southern Season, Whole Foods will be a joke. As a whole (no pun intended), Whole Foods doesn't really seem like a destination for me. It's really not that cool. Guglhupf is a good, albeit not Middle Eastern, bakery that is worth checking out for a quick snack.