• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thierry Burlot & La Bastide d'Odeon

John Talbott

In December 2002, we ate at what was then known as Quinze, and now is eponymously called Thierry Burlot, 8, rue Nicholas Charlet in the 15th (of course), 01.42.19.08.59. We thought it was great food then but the forced choices (2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts) for 42 E seemed expensive and limiting. For whatever reason(s), Burlot has revamped the offerings and now has a 26 E lunch formula and 32 E menu-carte, which despite lots of supplementary charges, offers a huge variety of terrific food for a reasonable cost (142 E for 3 of us); e.g., firsts such as wonderfully herbed langoustines and succulent shrimp raviolis with a piquant lime sauce, seconds such as lamb’s leg, veal with an intense red wine sauce with veggies and salmon, and desserts ranging from licorice crème brulee to caramel sauce on caramel ice cream (that was incredible). Lesson learned: occasionally it pays to return to the oldies that have been set aside for reasons that seemed sound at the time.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In December 2002, we ate at what was then known as Quinze, and now is eponymously called Thierry Burlot, 8, rue Nicholas Charlet in the 15th (of course), 01.42.19.08.59.  We thought it was great food then but the forced choices (2 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts) for 42 E seemed expensive and limiting.  For whatever reason(s), Burlot has revamped the offerings and now has a 26 E lunch formula and 32 E menu-carte, which despite lots of supplementary charges, offers a huge variety of terrific food for a reasonable cost (142 E for 3 of us); e.g., firsts such as wonderfully herbed langoustines and succulent shrimp raviolis with a piquant lime sauce, seconds such as lamb’s leg, veal with an intense red wine sauce with veggies and salmon, and desserts ranging from licorice crème brulee to caramel sauce on caramel ice cream (that was incredible).  Lesson learned: occasionally it pays to return to the oldies that have been set aside for reasons that seemed sound at the time.

My last dinner at T Burlot was about a year ago and i thought that the qualite ,

prix relationship was not that attractive,specially since previousely he offered 3 course dinner for about 32 euros. I am glad to see that he has gone back.

The food is excellent value at the new price.Its modern cuisine,with an inventive twist.The setting with table clothed widely spaced seating is very attractive. One can spend a lovely evening ,listening to Cesaria Evora.the chef's favorite singer without worrying about one's bank account.

I should add that john unearth's restaurants that no one talks about.

Also ,except occasionally, i seem to aggree with his comments .

I should add that  john unearth's  restaurants that no one talks about.

Thanks, but just to be accurate, credit should go to my wife Colette and good friend/resto finder SSM, both of whom have been nagging me to go back for at least 6 months.

And to complete this record, the four of us went back to Mon Viel Ami today, after a very long time and we all felt it stands the test of time.

John Talbott

• 1 month later...

I revisited these old favorites after a few years absence.I normally prefer the discovery of new talents and visit mostly new places( like john ,i guess).

Thierry burlot has reduced his prices recently as reported by john and i was curious about the changes.He incidentally is also the chef at the new baccarat restaurant.He is young and talented.his cuisine is modern with an inventive twist.

The langoustine ravioli with coriander was an interplay of texture and taste,delicious and the st pierre prepared at the table was fresh with a fragrant sauce,just delightful.The dessert a mango mousse with chunks of pomelo was refeshing .A red chinon went bautifully with the meal.Total cost for 2 was 118 euros including the wine.The menu at 32 euros was full wth supplements and the wine list had very few at around 30 e.

La bastide d'odeon seems to have kept its high standards. It is a Provencal type cuisine, generous and tasty. My long conversation with Gille Ajuelos, the chef, who incidentally is a friend of Thierry Burlot, gave me an impression of being a man who is honest and dedicated. For appetizer, I had a salmon tartare with a potato cake doused with olive oil, very tasty. The main dish was a Grenadin de veau de Correze which was young veal, very flavorful. Also, my companion started with a meillefuille of eggplant wrapped around a light chevre and topped with grilled tomato, simple yet pleasing. Her main dish was a Durade accompanied with gnocchi and wild mushrooms which she enjoyed. For desert, I tried the tarte au pomme, always satisfying and she tried the moelleux au chocolate which always pleases a chocoholic. The wine was an unusual Corsican white with unheard of local grapes, spicy and with fragrant fruit. The whole meal cost 104 Euro with the wine.

I used to love Bastide D'Odeon and have probably visited there more than any other Parisian restaurant. But I was dissapointed the last time, a couple of years ago. I sometimes bring a group, never more than 5 or 6 total. This last time they gave us a serverely limited menu. I complained about not being told about it, but they would not budge. Does anyone know if this is still the case there? I realize that service may have been a bit slower with the regular menu but we were willing and the restaurant was certainly not busy that night! I love Giles cooking but I do not like being treated like a stupid American. :sad:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I used to love Bastide D'Odeon and have probably visited there more than any other Parisian restaurant. But I was dissapointed the last time, a couple of years ago. I sometimes bring a group, never more than 5 or 6 total. This last time they gave us a serverely limited menu. I complained about not being told about it, but they would not budge. Does anyone know if this is still the case there? I realize that service may have been a bit slower with the regular menu but we were willing and the restaurant was certainly not busy that night! I love Giles cooking but I do not like being treated like a stupid American. :sad:

I spoke with gilles about the poor experiences some of my friends have had.

He agreed that beeing human that happens ,however de does his best most times.

I told him that he is discussed over the internet,he was curious about that and said he will check it out.Next time ,if you have any problems ,mention the internet as your source of info.

Incidentally if you make a reservation at least week ahead ,usually you get a better table and tratment.

I spoke with gilles about the poor experiences some of my friends have had.

Just to put in my two cents about La Bastide Odeon. I have never been disappointed in my meals there, but the three others with whom I often eat do not clamour to return. I, though, continue to think it's a fine option for Saturday lunch.

John Talbott

• 2 years later...

An update on both:

Thierry Burlot has not only bumped up the prices (again) and is "out of" the reasonably priced wines still listed on the wine list, but the decor looks really shabby, so much so that I wrote an essay for Bonjour Paris recently wondering if he was really in trouble.

In addition, I continue to hear mixed reports about the Bastide Odeon, so much so I'm worried about its future as well. Does anyone know if, when Gilles Ajuelos co-revived La Marlotte, (where I had an awful meal), he lost interest in the B.O.? Maybe I'd better drop by after the New Year and see what's up.

Addendum 30 Dec 07: I went by today and everything looked normal.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott