• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Two Older Rhones

Phil Ward

Well decided to try a couple of cellar favs in the last couple of nights:

1988 Le Vieux Donjon CdP Rouge- Holding up nicely, color is still quite deep, had to coax the aromas for the first 20 minutes or so, but then it exploded with loads of violets, red fruits, hints of provencal herbs mixed with a touch of the local terroir. The palate was nicely integrated with the above flavors and the tannins were definetly resolving themselves. Drinking well and will hold the last couple of bottles for a few more years.

1993 Chave Hermitage Rouge- decided to decant this one as I knew it might throw a bit of sediment. The color has begun to lighten just a bit. Again had to coax the aromas but about 45 minutes in they also came gushing out. More red fruits, a bit more of the terroir driven aromas from the hillside vineyards, a very light touch of bacon and violets. The tannins, fruit and alcohol are all balanced nicely and I am pleased I still have 1 btl left. Certainly seems to have another 5 + years of life left before peak, IMHO. This wines was great with herb rubbed duck breast.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover