• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piola

ned

I don't want to make any grandiose claims about this restaurant. But I can say that for having been open only a few months, they have their crust remarkably in order. It's thin and nicely charred with a good crunch. They are using excellent ingredients. Their Lisbona pie, for example, features rich and milky mozarella, gorgonzola adds a nice funk, fresh arugula, and a wonderful spicy salami in which you can taste the musk of the aging. Really a nice pie. The most conservative thing I can say is that Piola merits a visit if you are in the neighborhood. It's just west of Broadway on the south side of 12th street.

They are on menupages but don't yet deliver. Here's their website: http://www.piola.it/

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

They use a wood burning oven.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

went last night. the decor reminded me a bit of cosi or xando a bit. the room is big and has a concrete floor and all of the furniture is happily mismatched. The lights are multicolor blown glass, which I thought were quite pretty. It was a bit like eating inside a third graders watercolor. The place was about 2/3 full when we got there a 7:15 and though the room looks like it has the potential to be very loud the din was a mild one. There were a few families with their children ( a few young ones running about) and the staff were very friendly and accomidating. They didn't even seem to notice the rugrats trying to trip them up. The pizza was very, very good. We had the Margarita D.O.C. The crust was (I dare say) as good as the one i had a dipaola's, just needed to be a bit crisper and the sauce reminded me of joes, but sligtly less sweet, cheese was fine, would have liked a bit more basil on top though. My glass of house wine was quite good too. They had run out of arugula for the carpaccio though (rats!) so I had a different version from their carpaccio menu. The beef was thin and lean and quite tasty, and the artechoke was very nice as well. The staff was extrordinarily friendly though a little overeager with plate clearing. I will certainly go back, it was a very nice time. oh, also quite inexpensive for what it was. the bill with tax and tip about 50 bucks.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Hey, I've eaten at the one in South Beach a number of times! The food is good and fairly inexpensive. I heard that it is a chain, all I can say to that is "Wow!". That's what chain should be, good food continued all over. Overall, I think that this place has good food, decently priced, and an unpretentious atmosphere. Does the NY one have a bar? And good salads? The Piola in South beach does. And, you can get fresh coffee.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

[...]The crust was (I dare say) as good as the one i had a dipaola's, just needed to be a bit crisper and the sauce reminded me of joes, but sligtly less sweet, cheese was fine, would have liked a bit more basil on top though.[...]

Joes? Dipaola's? Where are these places?

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]The crust was (I dare say) as good as the one i had a dipaola's, just needed to be a bit crisper and the sauce reminded me of joes, but sligtly less sweet, cheese was fine, would have liked a bit more basil on top though.[...]

Joes? Dipaola's? Where are these places?

Joe's on Carmine and whoops, DeMarcos on Houston. Both standards to which I hold certain pizza elements..

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.