• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chirping Chicken

menton1

After an extensive discussion about Rotisserie chicken on another thread, I wanted to add my good word for this Charcoal-grilled version served here.

After sampling a couple of the rotisserie places on the other thread and being a bit underwhelmed, I was passing this place and gave it a try. Fabulous!! The chicken is cut in half and grilled on an open flame. It comes out very juicy and succulent. It is also about 1/3 larger than the typical rotisserie versions I've had. The seasonings used are also extremely flavorful and delicious.

All in all, I'll take Chirping Chicken over any of the rotisserie places previously mentioned. Great stuff!

I went to the location on Amsterdam and 77th, and I believe they also have a location on Lex and 85th. They might have another, but I don't know where it is.

Edited by menton1 (log)

The one in Astoria is horrible! Dry chicken, three bean salad just dumped out of a can, no dressing or anything. I can't believe it has anything to do with the one on 85th, which has been top notch every time I have been. I like the tomato sauce and the pita. I'm pretty sure Chirping Chicken used to be a bigger chain. They had stores around 1st ave and 20th st, 1st ave and 60th st and I think there was one in Bayside as well. I don't know how many they had at their peak.

There used to be a Chirping Chicken between 105 and 106 Sts. on Broadway, I think. I seem to remember the people there were Tunisians. It was OK but not as good or as close to where I was living as El Malecon. But to be fair, that was a lot of years ago (probably over 10).

Michael aka "Pan"

The one in Astoria is horrible! Dry chicken, three bean salad just dumped out of a can, no dressing or anything. I can't believe it has anything to do with the one on 85th, which has been top notch every time I have been. I like the tomato sauce and the pita. I'm pretty sure Chirping Chicken used to be a bigger chain. They had stores around 1st ave and 20th st, 1st ave and 60th st and I think there was one in Bayside as well. I don't know how many they had at their peak.

I think they are actually a franchise; the one I went to on 77th and Amsterdam had not only fabulous chicken, but seemingly homemade side dishes as well. But ahh..., the chicken was wonderful, and I will be frequenting this Chirping Chicken often!