• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Two more Italian Whites

Brad Ballinger

2003 Elio Perrone "Clarte" Moscato d'Asti. Perrone makes two moscati -- Sourgal, bottled in the same vintage year, and Clarte, bottled the following spring. Clarte is also an old vines wine. This particular wine had a delicate mousse, and was muted overall -- no small feat given the ripe vintage. Moscato always goes down so easy for me anyway, but this particular wine was a cut above. Peach and honeyed melon flavors, a touch of mineral, all in moderately acidic packaging. Went very well with a baked Alaska dessert using pound cake and pistachio ice cream.

2003 G. Palombo Bianco delle Chiaie, Lazio Vino da Tavola. I believe this is 100% malvasia. It is also bone dry. Slight tropical fruit and floral tones on the nose along with a fresh, rainwater-like quality. I would prefer a bit more acidity, but the wine is by no means flat. Carambola and lemon flavors with floral accents. Crisp, with a clean finish. Very nice with a shrimp couscous dish.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero