• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh, go soak a nut!

misstenacity

I've seen several recipes and "lifestyles" that use soaked nuts, usually overnight or at least for several hours, in their methodology.

What does this do to the nut that makes it either more workable, or more digestible?

So far I've not turned up eGullet discussions on this, but point me in the right direction if I have missed something.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I have to admit that I have missed this one. Could you give some specific examples? Are they soaked shelled or with shell on?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have to admit that I have missed this one. Could you give some specific examples? Are they soaked shelled or with shell on?

One example that I know of is walnuts. Especially candied. Place in water, simmer for a time and rub in a towel to remove the outer membrane which can be quite bitter. The properties I believe are similar to tannins in wine.

Jack

From this site

Soaking nuts and seeds stimulates the process of germination, not only increasing the vitamin C content, but also increasing Vitamin B content and carotenes (pre-vitamin A). Most importantly, this soaking neutralizes phytic acid, a substance present in the bran of all grains and seeds that inhibits absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc. Soaking also neutralizes enzyme inhibitors present in all seeds. These inhibitors can neutralize our own precious enzymes in the digestive tract. Complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas are broken down from soaking and a portion of the starch in the seed is transformed into simpler sugars. Aflotoxins (potent carcinogens found in grains) are inactivated. Finally, numerous enzymes that help digestion are produced during the germination process.

When I first saw your question I thought of sprouting immediately. Vegans, vegetarians, raw foods afficionadoes do this.

My Korean mom also soaked her sesame seeds before toasting them for sesame salt. She said this helped remove some of the oxalic acid. I can't find any scientific evidence to support her theory. But over the years, I've learned that she' right about a lot of things.

My Korean mom also soaked her sesame seeds before toasting them for sesame salt. She said this helped remove some of the oxalic acid. I can't find any scientific evidence to support her theory. But over the years, I've learned that she' right about a lot of things.

From NewLeaf.com:

"Sesame Seeds -- Widely used in Asia Africa and the Mediterranean these tasty seeds are an abundant source of protein vitamin E and calcium the latter being concentrated in the hull. Unfortunately the calcium is bound up with oxalic acid rendering it unavailable for use in the body. Soaking the seeds overnight in salted water and then lightly roasting them will lessen the oxalic acid content."

Hulled sesame seeds don't contain oxalic acid, but removing the hulls also reoves the calcium. From other sites, I found that sesame seeds contain just 2% to 3% oxalic acid, so if you're using them for garnish, it doesn't make much difference one way or another.

Hmmnnn... the presence of oxalic acid might be why some brands of Chinese sesame paste (which is made from unhulled sesame seeds) taste bitter.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Oh suzy, thanks for the information. She used to get the unhulled kind when we were living in Korea decades ago (that makes me sound old :biggrin: ). But she stopped

soaking some time around the 80's. She said something like, "I heard that we don't need to soak this type." I don't why she said that, that's just the way she talks. So maybe she read in the Korean paper or saw it in the news that hulled seeds don't need to be soaked.

Yes, I've heard that raw foodists soak nuts overnight, but just didn't see any documentation (or even explanation) why.

Recently I saw a recipe (maybe even here on eGullet) for a sauce or paste with nuts that recommended soaking them for several hours first.

Aside from the possible oxalic acid component, would a soaked nut take on any water? I would assume its quite low because of nuts' high fat content.

Thanks for the info so far....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I remember trying to duplicate the texure of soft, delicately flavored fresh green almonds in my Moroccan cookbook. It took two hours of simmering to transform regular blanched almonds to the proper soft state. Years later I learned that some Moroccan cooks simulate the texture of these sweet almonds by soaking dry ones overnight in water with a tiny pinch of baking soda. If you try this, be sure to rinse thm well before using.

The Turks soak blanched almonds in many changes of cold water until they turn "snow white' The nuts are served over a bowl of ice cubes with glasses of watered raki.

By far the most famous Mediterranean recipe for fresh almonds is the white gazpacho of Andalusia. Spanish cooks have told me that they soak dry almonds in cold water overnigh to mamke them creamier before drying the surface and pounding them to a smooth paste.

And for walnuts:In the old days in the French Southwest, housewives resuscitated dried walnuts by soaking them in milk.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

According to "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon et. al. (my favorite health food book because it is non-PC and highly recommends butter), nuts contain enzyme inhibitors which interfere with digestion. They are nutritious and more digestible, however, when soaked overnight in salt water and then dried slowly in a barely warm oven or hydrator. This causes them to start to sprout, and is the same technique used for seeds for the same reasons.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Now that I think about it, there are Korean nut/seed milk drinks. My mom gave me a batch a few months ago. The list of ingredients sometimes exceeds 23 (why that number, I don't know). But I do recall all the talk of the special grinding process and that some of the nuts/seeds were soaked. I mentioned in another thread about my parents warning me about eating too many ginko nuts and the story of the little girl who died from overconsumption. I suppose it's in line with a Taoism, a little poison for a cure too much and well we die. :unsure: