• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agar Agar

helenjp

Hi, everyone.

I hope you can help me with this.

I ordered some agar from one of my suppliers and they sent me the sheet kind, which I've never used before.

My experience is with the Tiger brand I think it's called.

It comes in cello bags, powdered.

Instead of going thru the hassle of sending this stuff back, do you think I can just process it into a powder, w/o  any harm to the product?

thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.

Since no one has responded...

I have never seen a sheet of agar in my country. :sad: I guess you can get more response in the Cooking or Pastry & Baking Forum.

Hi, everyone.

I ordered some agar from one of my suppliers and they sent me the sheet kind, which I've never used before.

Instead of going thru the hassle of sending this stuff back, do you think I can just process it into a powder, w/o  any harm to the product?

Since no one has responded...

I have never seen a sheet of agar in my country. :sad: I guess you can get more response in the Cooking or Pastry & Baking Forum.

here is the agar agar thread in the pastry forum

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tan - hope this helps you out - it's a forum about Agar pertaining mostly to scientific uses - but there is a-lot of interesting info.

http://archives.thenook.org/3015.html

Here are some quotes from this thread:

http://archives.thenook.org/7727.html

Posted by: czen Nov 12 02, 12:07 PM GMT

I'm getting ready to try messing with agar. I bought some agar/agar at an asian market and I'm not sure I got the right stuff. I was expecting a powder or something like that. The stuff I got is sheets of strands about like linguine. I've ground it up in a blender which was about like trying to grind styrofoam. Is this the right stuff or should I use gelatin instead?

Have a good one,

czen

Posted by: czen Nov 13 02, 06:20 PM GMT

The agar is going well so far. The potato dextrose agar gelled up like it is supposed to instead of remaining a slimy potato broth. I placed it in the glove box and inoculated with a tiny drop from a dirty syringe that I want to see if I can resurrect.

I used wide mouth half pint jars which are a pain since I don't have clear lids. Are presterilized disposable plastic petri dishes suitable? Will they withstand pressure cooking or must I pour in a glove box? I guess they'd be fine for peroxidated agar.

Thanks again,

czen

{edit}

BTW - just so it's not confusing - an "Agar" is also a loose term used for any culture (as in Petri dish) using Agar Agar as a medium for cultivating micro-organisms.

http://www.tfd.com/agar

Edited by sizzleteeth (log)

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

Hi, everyone.

May I ask what you're going to make from the agar-agar? Agar-agar is sold in either strips or powder in Msia. I suppose the strips (long strands) are quite similar to your sheet. You'll have to cut them into small strips (say 2, 3 inches long) and soak them for 10 minutes before using. Generally, you can get a firm jelly from 50g of agar-agar strips to 1 litre water. HTH!

Edit: Kew tells me she makes a nice firm jelly from 25g-30g agar-agar with 1L-1.2L liquid. Um, I like mine hard, I guess. :wink:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah