• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

True to type?

Smithy

Over on the eGCI's Evaluating Wine class, I tried out three wines for one exercise:

* Solaris Special Release Pinot Noir, 2003

* Cline Ancient Vines Mourvedre, 2002

* Alderbrook OVOC Dry Creek Zinfandel, 2000

The purpose of this particular exercise was to begin learning the characteristics of selected varietals, so we were supposed to pick wines that were true to type. Cline was recommended but the others that I picked weren't listed among the recommended vintners. I picked them anyway because we keep these particular wines around the house. The mourvedre and zinfandel are tried-and-true favorites, and the Solaris is something we keep sometimes. We're still trying to decide about it - it seems variable from one bottle to the next.

My question to the assembled masses is, how true to type are these wines that I chose to evaluate? Cline mourvedre is pretty distinctive, but it's the only mourvedre I've ever tasted except in a blend. Would I know another unblended mourvedre if I tasted it? I'm particularly interested in someone's assessment of the Solaris because it's new, it seems a bit on the spotty side, and my poor grip on wines is even more meager when it comes to pinot noir.

For those of you who are interested in learning about how to taste wines, and how to assess and describe what you taste, I highly recommend this course. It's well presented, and Rebel Rose is somehow making the time to provide thoughtful answers to exhaustive questions.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've not had the Solaris, so I can't comment on that. But I would try it along with a Bourgogne Rouge (labeled as such) from France.

The Cline will be a fair representation. For what mourvedre can truly do, however, I'd look to a Bandol Rouge. Now those wines may have some other grapes in the blend, but it's mainly mourvedre. For another U.S. comparison, you can try a Ridge Mataro.

The Alderbrook will be fine. I also like Ravenswood's Sonoma County bottling (not the vintners blend), for another typical representation. I would also recommend Nalle.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero