• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in Paris

Explorer

What do you think the reason is for this brunch craze? I thought many people in the restaurant business wanted to spend their Sundays at home with their families.

What do you think the reason is for this brunch craze?  I thought many people in the restaurant business wanted to spend their Sundays at home with their families.

I hate it, but then I hate it in the US too. Again we should hear from someone like Ptipois but I think the French think brunch is kinda cool, new, exotic, American, etc.

There was a place in the 8th called the Apartment I believe that I was assured when I reserved had a regular menu along with brunch on Sunday; we went and it was all brunch all the time and it was full and everyone was having bloody Mary's, eggs, breads, etc., it could have been the Pittsburgh Marriott.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I hate it, but then I hate it in the US too.  Again we should hear from someone like Ptipois but I think the French think brunch is kinda cool, new, exotic, American, etc.

First there isn't precisely a "brunch craze" in Paris, just some places serving brunch. And there's nothing new about that: it's been going on since before the '80s, though it has been increasing steadily. As for the exotic factor, well by now it has faded. It's just people rising late after partying on Saturday night, as they do all over the world, and finding it nice (and cool, indiscutably) to spend Sunday morning in a relaxed way while meeting friends. It has "de-americanized" somehow to become just a matter of how late you have your breakfast or how early you have your lunch when you've been partying the night before. And some restaurants or cafés have discovered that there is a clientèle for that, so they cater to them. The most receptive population is to be found in trendy places like the Marais, Bastille and Oberkampf, so there's a lot of brunching there for the party crowd, but it is by no means restricted to those places. Le Pain Quotidien in various locations has its aficionados on Sunday morning.

I thought many people in the restaurant business wanted to spend their Sundays at home with their families.

Restaurants that serve brunch are among the ones that stay open on Sundays, or they're hotel restaurants; I suppose that answers your question.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

• 8 months later...

This month's WHERE has another page of brunch suggestions (one must assume that it was compiled by Alexander Lobrano), that consists of:

Les Princes, Kong, Asian, Breakfast in America, Justine, Lancaster, Murano Urban Resort, Le Nomad's + Le Diapason.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I'm glad you bumped up this thread because I had a great brunch at Urbane in the 10th not too long ago and completely forgot to write about it. It was, I assume, a typical English/Irish breakfast but much better than what I've had at many places in Paris. Urbane is a bobo néo-bistro a few steps from the Canal, which reminds me very much of a neighbourhood place you might find in New York. My memory is now foggy, but if I remember correctly, we had poached eggs, baked beans, real bacon, a delicious boudin sausage and chutney with coffee and juice all for 16€. It’s a bit like the Rose bakery without the prices or wait.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Mmm, likewise. Any updates on the Ambassadeurs ? I know the breakfast we had there when we stayed was pretty delicious, so my tastebuds are salivating on all cylinders at the thought of brunch.

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

• 9 months later...

I had brunch at Les A yesterday. Met Catherine and Christian Constant waiting to enter. We got to catch up on some things. I dine often at their restaurants. Christian always comes to my table. We have the usual simple conversations, as Christian speaks less English than I speak French!! He mentioned that he sees me every place. Noticed later that a birthday cake was presented to Catherine. When I returned home to my apt. I sent her a cute Jacquie Lawson B/D card.

We enjoyed our brunch. The service and the food was excellent, as you would expect at Les A. The dress of some guests or the lack of dress was definitely noticed by us.

I ran into Catherine and Christian outside Violon today. Catherine and I visited for some time. She had mentioned the lack of proper drress in her thankyou for the B/D card. I told her that it had been something that I was seeing regularly. Even sitting in the lobby of the Crillon, I see people coming in who would not have been allowed in the hotel a few years ago. Then there is the thing about if they are staying in the hotel that they are allowed anyplace, dressed anyway! I can't agree with that. Information can be given as to the dress code in every dining room/bar area. What about the rack of coats in years past?

I asked Catherine if she had been to Spring. She had not and had heard of the need for early, early reservations. I told her that I call Daniel and say when I will be here and ask when I can dine there. Always, most accomodating. This trip I had dinner there a couple weeks ago with a gal who had lived in Paris for 5 years. She was thrilled to join me. All I can say is that it was fantastic! Just to watch Daniel is special. A most gifted young man. We both agreed that it could be your best dining experience while in Paris. For those who are uncomfortable with the lack of a menu, we both said that we could easily enjoy those surprises, daily!

I will be there for lunch on Thursday and want to talk to Daniel about his expected date of being into the new location. I will be back for a month beginning mid April. I asked Catherine if she and Christian would like to go. She said that they would. Thinking of getting together a nice group to enjoy "Spring" in the spring, at their new Bailleul location.

Joan