• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a kosher eiswein (icewine)

Gifted Gourmet

At one time I had located a kosher eiswein online (the photograph used had a blue background) and would love to buy some for Passover. Have since lost the website among my saved wine favorites in the interim.

I have used Google with a variety of search terms but cannot locate what I am searching for.

If you know of a way to locate a bottle of this wine, and it is kosher, I would be more than grateful! Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pam beat me to it, but I was about to suggest Hafner.

Is Georgia one of those states that allows wine delivery from out of state? Otherwise you're either going to have to make a trip or lure someone down to Atlanta for a visit.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks, both Pam and Andrea, for helping me out here ... will also check out what Daniel Rogov has to say on this topic ...

Kosher   ICE WINE  (EISWEIN)

Chardonnay - Scheurebe

89 Points by Daniel Rogov "HaAretz Israel"

"Excellent"-Award 89 Points - The Underground Wine Journal USA

Very fruity, an excellent Ice Wine, well structured with the elegance of Chardonnay and the fruity character of Scheurebe!

"Bright hue of golden straw. The nose clean and has aromas of fragant white peach, honey and apricot. The palate is delicate, medium to fullbodied and nicely balanced. Flavors include honey, white peach, fig, lychee and apricot. Good length and balance on the finish. This wine is delicate, genteel and shows some overall complexity. Mevushal"

yet another possibility ... :rolleyes:

Any chance you can get up to New York on April 10? Gotham Wine is sponsoring their 2nd annual kosher wine tasting (they're doing an Israeli wine tasting next sunday). If it's anything like last year, it will be amazing -- all the distributors were there as well as some of the wine makers. And while you're in town you can go to Skyview in Riverdale where they'll open a couple of bottles as well. Best part -- both places have great sales the month before Passover.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Any chance you can get up to New York on April 10?  Gotham Wine is sponsoring their 2nd annual kosher wine tasting (they're doing an Israeli wine tasting next sunday).  If it's anything like last year, it will be amazing -- all the distributors were there as well as some of the wine makers.  And while you're in town you can go to Skyview in Riverdale where they'll open a couple of bottles as well.  Best part -- both places have great sales the month before Passover.

Worth considering ... have bought some kosher port online while tracking down the kosher icewine ... :laugh: the day shouldn't be a total waste, of course ... :rolleyes:

If you come across Terras de Belmonte, let me suggest you try it. It's become one of our house wines. It's a really nice red and even your non wine drinking friends will enjoy it because it's not bone dry. It can be sipped on its own or drunk with food. (Blovie is pouring himself a glass as I type)

You might want to wander around that site for a bit. They have a great kosher wine selection. I think I'm in the shop a least once a week :shock:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

Melissa, Hi....

The two tips above for the Scheurebe (Gotham Wines and Wine.Is) are good ones.

Keep in mind as well the possibility of the Heightswine from the Golan Heights Winery. My tasting notes for the various vintages of this wine follow.

Best,

Rogov

Yarden, Heightswine, 2003: As always, a tantalizing dessert wine, light to medium-bodied with delicate honeyed apricot and peach aromas and flavors, good balancing acidity and an elegantly lingering finish. Drink now–2008. Score 90. K

Yarden, Heightswine, 2002: Light golden in color, medium-bodied, and with excellent balance. Plenty of natural acidity to back up the sweetness and keep it lively while allowing the peach, apricot, and quince fruits to make themselves nicely felt. Honeyed and floral, generous and round. Drink now-2008. Score 90. K

Yarden, Heightswine, 2001: Well balanced, generous and elegant, this honeyed dessert wine is made entirely from Gewurztraminer grapes treated to sub-freezing temperatures at the winery. It has a lively golden color and offers up a generous array of yellow peaches, apricots, melon, orange marmalade and quince, all on a floral and just spicy enough background. Drink now–2008. Score 91. K

Yarden, Heightswine, 2000: Well chilled, this delicious sweet wine reveals honeyed flavors of pears and quince. Let it warm in the glass and you will feel ripe apricots and white peaches. Let it linger on the palate and you will sense kiwi, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Made entirely from Gewurztraminer grapes, the wine is well balanced by plenty of natural acidity. Drink now–2008. Score 92. K

Yarden, Heightswine, 1999: Unlike German or Canadian ice wines, in which grapes are allowed to freeze on the vine, the Gewurztraminer grapes used in this wine were frozen at the winery. The result is a sweet, almost thick mineral-rich dessert wine packed with aromas of peaches, apples, mangoes and pineapple that sit very comfortably on the palate. Drink now–2006. Score 88. K

Yarden, Heightswine, 1998: Showing 40% sugar content to the pressed grape juice, this pleasingly sweet dessert wine offers up aromas and flavors of ripe peaches, apricots and tropical fruits. Drink now–2006. Score 88. K

Thank you all so much for the assistance in my pursuit of kosher dessert wines! I will look into how to purchase some of them online. Have learned a great deal from your replies and websites!

If you're willing to go beyond eiswein, try the Tierra Selvaj Yecle Dolce. It wonderful and goes brilliantly with anything chocolate. If you do a search you'll find Katie Loeb's comments about it as well.

Yarden, Heightswine, 2000: Well chilled, this delicious sweet wine reveals honeyed flavors of pears and quince. Let it warm in the glass and you will feel ripe apricots and white peaches. Let it linger on the palate and you will sense kiwi, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Made entirely from Gewurztraminer grapes, the wine is well balanced by plenty of natural acidity. Drink now–2008. Score 92. K

I was finally able to order this online, Rogov, from one of the few places who were willing to send it to me in Georgia. Apparently, this is the one state which is an issue to many wine sellers and almost all websites listed omit Georgia.

In any event, it has been ordered and it received a score of 92 from you therefore I trust it to be perfect for my purposes! Todah rabbah!

If you're willing to go beyond eiswein, try the Tierra Selvaj Yecle Dolce.  It wonderful and goes brilliantly with anything chocolate.  If you do a search you'll find Katie Loeb's comments about it as well.

Bloviatrix, I did a search on eG and found no discussions at all by Katie or anyone else .. and on Google?Your search - Tierra Selva j Yecle Dolce - did not match any documents. :sad:

A good source for any Kosher wine is kosherwine.com

I spoke with Daniel earlier and he said that while he does not have an ice wine per se, nothing from Canada or Germany, there are several wineries that make a similar style wine, probably freezing the already harvested fruit before pressing.

here is the link to the site:

http://www.kosherwine.com

If you're willing to go beyond eiswein, try the Tierra Selvaj Yecle Dolce.  It wonderful and goes brilliantly with anything chocolate.  If you do a search you'll find Katie Loeb's comments about it as well.

Bloviatrix, I did a search on eG and found no discussions at all by Katie or anyone else .. and on Google?Your search - Tierra Selva j Yecle Dolce - did not match any documents. :sad:

This is the thread I was referring to.

BTW, we had an awful wine last night. Carmel Winery Cabernet Franc Judean Hills 2002. It was all alcohol. No flavor. We actually poured most of the bottle down the drain which is something we very rarely do. My tasting notes says: "Aaaargggghhhh"

BTW, I got a postcard today from Skyview saying their Pesach sale starts March 14th.

Skyview Wines

My shipment of this wine has just arrived!  :biggrin:

L'chaim.