• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help needed re: Zarafa pinotage

andiesenji

I have been gifted with 6 bottles of Zarafa 2003 pinotage from South Africa.

I don't drink, or rather I can't drink alcohol because of a severe allergy that causes edema in my larynx, shutting off my airway so I can't even taste this stuff.

What I would like to know, if anyone is familiar with this wine, is it any good.

If it is good I will pass it along to my friend who likes red wines as long as they aren't too sweet or too astringent.

If it is just so-so, I will use it for cooking.

If it is less than so-so, I will use it to make vinegar or, if it is dreck, toss it.

So, is it worth holding on to or what?

I have never heard of pinotage. They have a neat label with a giraff on it. The back label says it is "a soft, easy drinking red wine for all occasions."

Doesn't tell me much.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Pinotage is one of the more traditional South African grape varieties, but it is not generally considered one of the better ones. There are exceptions, however.

I could not find Zarafa listed on John Platter's Online Guide to South African Wines in which he has an A to Z guide to Cape wineries. It did not show up on a Google search of the site either.

A general Google search for Zarafa led me to this site. Vinegar might be too good for it. :raz:

smell: rasperry; text: smoothish, light, a tad tingly; taste: medicinal; a/b/t: 4/2/2; off flavor in taste and aftertaste; no redeeming qualities; ick

It apparently is made by Mountain River Winery and according to the site linked to above costs $4/bottle. The site is by a fellow named Jason Rennie, who if he is not a member of the eGullet Society probably should be :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks, I will see how it performs as vinegar but am not going to waste much time on it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett