• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Navarro grape juice, non-alcoholic wine

MaxH

Navarro winery is making alcohol free premium grape juices from their actual wine grapes , such as pinot noir and Gewürztraminer  ...

my question is,  does anyone know any other wineries making the same progress ?

There is certainly some history. It was, and is, an interesting idea.

Felton-Empire (label of Empire Vineyards, Felton, California -- AVA Santa Cruz Mountains) bottled varietal grape juices very much like this description, and received a write-up about it in, if I remember, Vintage magazine (US), and some retail buzz. I bought a dozen at the time after reading about it in Vintage, and I probably still have the article on file. That was in 1980. I did not keep up with the product. I last looked into Felton-Empire in 1995 at the winery, by which time the business had shifted focus to exotic fruit wines (again from memory) and when I asked they said that they were not then bottling the varietal juices.

I replied in the wine subforum where I thought the query might get more response, since wineries made these products.

By the way, I stop at Navarro sometimes when in the Anderson Valley, it's a popular operation with a following. Located very near the small and respected Lazy Creek (known now for Pinots) and the large and respected Roederer Estate (known for raising the standards and especially the subtlety of California sparkling wines in the 1980s, under the guidance of recently retired founding director Professor Michel Salgues.)

Cheers -- Max

Edited by MaxH (log)