• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapas and Sangria

Della

What is the opinion on La Bodega. I was in Vancouver 2 years ago for a hockey game. We stayed at the Sandman and ended up walking a few blocks to a restaurant that was very fun, yummy and had great Sangria. I think it was La Bodega but could be wrong.

Any thoughts on that restaurant?

What is the opinion on La Bodega. I was in Vancouver 2 years ago for a hockey game. We stayed at the Sandman and ended up walking a few blocks to a restaurant that was very fun, yummy and had great Sangria. I think it was La Bodega but could be wrong.

Any thoughts on that restaurant?

It was probably El Patio, on the corner, funny entrance and little courtyard. I am assuming the Sandman on Georgia.

It is my understanding that both restaurants had their start at la Bodega, one partner breaking out on his own to start El Patio.

Both places are good for the Spanish Tapas dining with Sangria.

Enjoy

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Indeed. La Bodega. It's been there for yonks. I forgot about that place. I have very pleasant memories from there. Especially when they had live entertainment in the way of flamingo singers and dancers. Muy caliente.

Nice little hideaway.

Now that we can get real jamon serrano, I hope the folks at La Bodega are inspired to offer it on our menu.

I have great hope for the foods of Spain to get a strong foot hold in Vancouver. In fact I'm depending on you!

I have been eating Jamon Serrano all week - it's soo good. Sorry I'm getting off topic. Again.

s

There are some of us here (myself included) who would give the nod to Latin Quarter on The Drive. It's not walking distance from The Sandman, but their sangria is very good. Just stay away from the flamng churizo ... right Neil? :raz:

A.

One of my all-time fave haunts on a rainy night.

Chorizo, patatas brava, meatballs, gambas, mmmm.

Accompanied by a giant pitcher of the best sangria in

the city, of course (they'll give you the recipe if you ask).

Good St. Honore cake, too, but only if it's been baked

that day. Had a few stale ones....

Given the Sandman location I agree with Neil that it was likely El Patio - slightly less boisterous than La Bodega but both fun and (in my opinion) both better than Latin Quarter.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

El Patio's nice, but I prefer La Bodega. If you want to get away from the crowds, get a table upstairs. Same tapas menu, plus a dinner menu. Reservations usually required though. La Bodega definitely has the best sangria, and that's reason enough to go!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We went up to Vancouver last weekend and I took my sweetie to El Patio. It was the place we went to a couple years ago and it was just as fun and yummy as we remembered. We will have to try La Bodega next time.

It was a surprise birthday trip for him so it was special that we went to that restaurant again.

CHEERS!

Thanks everyone. We went up to Vancouver last weekend and I took my sweetie to El Patio. It was the place we went to a couple years ago and it was just as fun and yummy as we remembered. We will have to try La Bodega next time.

It was a surprise birthday trip for him so it was special that we went to that restaurant again.

What? We don't get a report? :raz: Whaddya order??

A.

• 7 months later...

We did both Tapas and Sangria at La Bodega on Saturday night.

We showed up at 7pm without a reservation, and they seated us immediately in the back room. Service seemed a touch slow, but they were busy and I suspect the fact that I hadn't eaten since breakfast skewed my perspective somewhat. :laugh: The service was fine - not fancy, but friendly.

We ordered the spanish meatballs, potatoes, paella, chorizo, short rib, gazpacho, and the shrimp. The short rib was a bit brisket-y, but decent. Everything else was good except the gazpacho - it was out of this world. They make it quite sweet, but on a hot summer afternoon I'd walk for hours for a bowl of it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

i'm gonna have to side with daddy-a here and go with the latin quarter.

shelora, i'm glad you have such great hopes for spanish tapas here! i was there last year and still haven't had anything here that comes close to it. gambas pil pil, the grilled sardines, the manchego, and mostly, the jamon iberico. at least, yes, we can get the serano now. i too, have been munching on it all week! oh, and the churros, oh, the churros..... :wub: sorry for the digression! back to regular programing now..... :biggrin:

Quentina

i go with Latin Quarter as well... cozy, live entertainment as well. i think the food is on par with la bodega... but Latin Quarter is darker, more romantic, nicer ambience. If you sit with your back to the window and only see inside the restaurant, you are transported into quite an authentic experience of a Spanish Tapas cafe. and yes... stay away from the chorizo... though i love that stuff usually Latin Quarter tends to "flame it" until it's charred and dry... great for show... not so good for looks.

i'm not a big sangria fan, but love spanish red wines though dont' know much about them (if that makes any sense). anyone got any good suggestions?

Let's talk about Food @ www.tasteof604.com!