• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Terrace in the Sky

robyn

The Bar Mitzvah reception dinner was at Terrace in the Sky. Not exactly on the beaten path in New York. Up at Columbia University on top of Butler Hall. I thought they did a very nice job for a reception and dinner. Food was better than average for a catered event. Room was pretty - and the views were spectacular. Only caveat is not too many cab drivers know how to find it. First cab driver we got told us he'd ask for directions (while the meter was running :wacko: ). We found another cab driver (he didn't know exactly where it was either - but at least he had a good sense of direction - got us there on the first try). It's not the Four Seasons - but if you don't have a fortune to spend - it's worth looking into. Robyn

had our 2nd anniversary dinner there - just the way we like it - good food and almost empty - romantic - i can picture an event being held there - very nice for that

I have to laugh. A lot of the younger (really younger) couples went out on the terrace to get in a bit of romance. But it was simply too cold (don't think they lasted for more than 10 minutes - neither did the smokers!). So I'd say late April to early October is the right season for this place. Robyn

P.S. I promised good weather to those of you in NY. Didn't deliver 100% - but at least I chased away the rain.

• 3 months later...

I ate there during restaurant week and the food was fantastic, but there was something strange about the place that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it was the feeling that I somehow eating in an upscale campus dining hall, I dunno. Overall though, it was enjoyable and I would gladly return for a stab at the full menu.

Nothing to see here.

Thats funny.. I have been hearing things about it for some time, and last I almost went here.. While looking over the menu I was intrigued. Definately looking forward to making my own oyster rissotto, but then I looked at the room itself. Nothing to impressive, infact, it completely turned me off from going there.

It weird a lot of places with a view pay a lot of attention to the room and the view and not really to the food.. This place seems like the food is a focal point and they neglected the room because the view is so nice.

It was definitely a nice room, and the views were really something. I wish my friend hadn't mentioned that we were on the top floor of what is actually a Columbia University dorm, because the whole time I couldn't help wonder if somehow Aramark was making my food.

The first course was thin slice of duck pate' with mache and armagnac soaked cherries. Delicious.

Second course was a half chicken (looked like they used the brick teqnique) with black lentils and a foie gras sauce. Normally I won't order chicken because in the wrong hands it can be quite insipid, but this chicken was tender and juicy with perfectly crisped skin. The lentils (with a touch of truffle flavor) and the foie gras sauce worked beautifully. For this course, my friend had what was probably the best wild mushroom rissoto I have ever tasted.

Third course was a simple creme brulee. I ordered a glass of sauternes with it which matched beautifully.

I got a quick look at the full menu and there were a number of things that caught my eye including a seared foie gras appetizer with three-way pears, wildflower honey, rosemary, and vanilla foam. Mmmmm.

Nothing to see here.