• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daily coffee cuts liver cancer risk, new study

Gifted Gourmet

article from Food Navigator

Coffee consumption is common throughout the world, with retail sales hitting over €54 billion. And scientists continue to explore the impact it may have on human health.

The first study, published in the 16 February issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, found that people who drank coffee on a daily or almost daily basis had about half the risk of developing hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC: a type of liver cancer) compared with those who never drank coffee....  the rate of liver cancer among those who never drank coffee was 547.2 cases per 100,000 people over 10 years.  Among daily coffee drinkers the rate was almost fifty per cent less, at about 214.6 cases per 100,000 people. Of particular interest, the risk of HCC decreased with an increase in the amount of coffee consumed each day.

:biggrin:

This of interest to you coffee drinkers out there? Or will you continue to drink your java pretty much as you already do now? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Looks like I finally found justification for one of my bad habits!    :biggrin:

and the discovery that chocolate can be quite healthy is yet another 'scientific breakthrough' from which I derive intense pleasure! :biggrin:

Guess if I live long enough, scientists will find "nutritional virtues" in all of my vices! :laugh:

article from Food Navigator

The first study, published in the 16 February issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, found that people who drank coffee on a daily or almost daily basis had about half the risk of developing hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC: a type of liver cancer) compared with those who never drank coffee

[...]

Now, they have to compare coffee-drinking vs. tea-drinking.

Michael aka "Pan"

So I have to take that daily cappuccino off my list of vices?

Wow...between this and red wine, I'm nearly perfect! I'd better pick up some more naughty habits, or no one will want to hang out with me.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

What is it in the coffee that has this wondrous effect? The caffeine? Or something else? (Sitting here munching my daily and de rigueur ounce of dark chocolate.)

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

What is it in the coffee that has this wondrous effect?  The caffeine?  Or something else?

a more definitive article in answer to your question ..

They found that people who consumed coffee on a daily or nearly daily basis faced about half the risk of developing hepatocellular carcinoma compared with those who never drank coffee. The minimum to achieve this prophylactic effect was about 1 to 2 cups per day, Tusgane told Priority Healthcare.

:rolleyes: but not sure about the caffeine .. still drinking 1-2 cups of coffee daily ... a good thing, Martha ... :wink: