• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Night in Miami

KSPS

Next week, my husband and I will be in Miami for one night before heading off to points south. I'd love to have some recommendations for a wonderful restaurant featuring Pan Latino or regional Florida cuisine. Talula is the restaurant we're drawn to from our own limited knowledge, but I'd love to learn more from people who know the Miami food scene.

Thanks!

KSPS

I've never been to Talula, but it does look good. The good news for your search is that nearly every quality upscale restaurant in Miami has at least some Florida/Latino/Caribbean influences, if not an overt mission statement as such.

There's a chef in Brickell preparing exciting Spanish cuisine in an old firehouse at a restaurant called Mosaico. I've heard that the place isn't doing well (location might be a problem), so more business for them would be a good thing.

A chic place that's perhaps less upscale than what you're looking for but more explicit in its latin influences, is Chispa in Coral Gables.

On South Beach, Wish and Nemo are both elegant and have outdoor seating so you can enjoy the breeze.

Blue Door at the Delano Hotel is a South Beach classic, and the food is pretty good if over-the-top expensive. I'd say this food is more french than Latino/Floribbean, though.

I think the best meal I've had in Miami was at Azul, although it, too, is as French/Asian as it is Latino/Floribbean.

Good luck! Let us know where you eat and how you enjoy it.

Any of Ari's recommendations would be great. I'd also like to add OLA to the list. It's run by Douglas Rodriguez, one of the pioneers of the FLA/Carib/Latino upscale dining craze. He as properties in different parts of the country specializing in different regions. This one in particular focuses on Peruvian with a whole ceviche menu. But there are dishes with influences from all over Latam. The restaurant is in an up-and-coming neighborhood but hopefully that won't turn you off. I believe that's why the tourist to local ratio is fairly low.

Any of Ari's recommendations would be great.  I'd also like to add OLA to the list.  It's run by Douglas Rodriguez, one of the pioneers of the FLA/Carib/Latino upscale dining craze.  He as properties in different parts of the country specializing in different regions.  This one in particular focuses on Peruvian with a whole ceviche menu.  But there are dishes with influences from all over Latam.  The restaurant is in an up-and-coming neighborhood but hopefully that won't turn you off.  I believe that's why the tourist to local ratio is fairly low.

Yes, I've just been to Ola for appetizers and cocktails - never full dinner - but I was very impressed with the food, service, and friendliness. (The servers paid no less attention than the rest of the crowd, despite the fact that we weren't ordering a full meal.)

I've never been to Talula, but it does look good.  The good news for your search is that nearly every quality upscale restaurant in Miami has at least some Florida/Latino/Caribbean influences, if not an overt mission statement as such. 

There's a chef in Brickell preparing exciting Spanish cuisine in an old firehouse at a restaurant called Mosaico.  I've heard that the place isn't doing well (location might be a problem), so more business for them would be a good thing. 

A chic place that's perhaps less upscale than what you're looking for but more explicit in its latin influences, is Chispa in Coral Gables. 

On South Beach, Wish and Nemo are both elegant and have outdoor seating so you can enjoy the breeze. 

Blue Door at the Delano Hotel is a South Beach classic, and the food is pretty good if over-the-top expensive.  I'd say this food is more french than Latino/Floribbean, though.

I think the best meal I've had in Miami was at Azul, although it, too, is as French/Asian as it is Latino/Floribbean. 

Good luck!  Let us know where you eat and how you enjoy it.

Mosaico got some pretty mediocre reviews. Perhaps that's why it's not doing well?

I've heard good things about Chispa - but you have to be in the mood for a heavy meal - like pork - to do it justice.

Have you eaten at Azul since the Chef Bernstein left? I haven't.

As for Ola - it's on my list of places to try on my next trip to Miami (probably next month). Robyn