• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierogies

If indeed 'pierogi are larger versions of piroshki' as the Food Lover's Companion suggests, then:

Piroshky-Piroshky

206/441-6068

1908 Pike Place

piroshky@piroshkypiroshky.com

(Forewarning: www.piroshkypiroshky.com does not yield their web page, or anything remotely related!)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

If indeed 'pierogi are larger versions of piroshki' as the Food Lover's Companion suggests, then:

Piroshky-Piroshky

206/441-6068

1908 Pike Place

piroshky@piroshkypiroshky.com

(Forewarning: www.piroshkypiroshky.com does not yield their web page, or anything remotely related!)

I haven't visited them lately. I don't remember them carrying pierogi. Piroshky are different than pierogi. Piroshky are made like a turnover with a crusty wrap. Pierogi are more like Ukranian Ravioli. They are made with more of a pasta type dough and stuffed with potato, farmers cheese, saurkraut, meat or even fruit. They can be boiled, deep fried or pan fried in butter with onion. They are often served with applesauce and/or sour cream. I've made them several times when I have a serious craving but it's an amazingly time consuming process. Was hoping to find someone else to do the work for me.

Piroshky are different than pierogi.  Piroshky are made like a turnover with a crusty wrap. Pierogi are more like Ukranian Ravioli. 

Man, I was led astray by FLC! I had a funny feeling that didn't seem right.

By the way, welcome to eGullet. :smile:

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Since moving from Philadelphia, were there is a big Polish population, I have had to order homemade pierogies online. It's well worth it. I order in big quantities, because they freeze and defrost perfectly.

Here are two, in my favorite order:

www.buffalofoods.com

This is a site which ships all things Buffalo, including Redlinski's meats and Nowinski pierogies.

www.pierogiesplus.com

This is a great place in McKees Rocks, PA, which is right outside of Pittsburgh.Here, Polish and Ukrainian ladies handmake beautiful pierogies.

I couldn't have a Polish Easter without these two places!

:

Piroshky are different than pierogi.  Piroshky are made like a turnover with a crusty wrap. Pierogi are more like Ukranian Ravioli. 

Man, I was led astray by FLC! I had a funny feeling that didn't seem right.

By the way, welcome to eGullet. :smile:

~Anita

:biggrin: Thanks---I'm thrilled to have found you all :biggrin:

Cafe Yarmarka in the Pike Place Market-that is the place behind Sisters that was mentioned above. I go there for lunch when I need a creamy doughy fix. They have other menu items that look good as well but I always go for the pierogis since they are terrible frozen and a pain (though delicious) to make.